Wick Poetry Center News
Student Poets to Read Nov. 2 and 3Posted Oct. 10, 2011
Featured at the November 2 reading will be the following students:
- Dennis Brown is a senior majoring in Teaching English as a Second Language. He makes short stories about jilted lovers. He writes as an act of human solidarity, not because he should but because he must.
- Peter Grapentien is an intern at the Wick Poetry Center and a senior English major. Previously he worked as a staff writer for the Spectrum newspaper and Bring on Mixed Reviews online magazine. He is currently the president of the Kent State Writers’ Workshop, a group for aspiring writers to work toward publication. Grapentien is also the vice president of the Kent State English Club.
- Zachary Lutz is an English major at Kent State University. He is the son of two lesser known saints and at an early age, learned how to watch roller-coasters go. The therapy of didactic amusement parks is of close concern for Zachary, and provides him with a slanted consciousness and headaches. He currently resides in a limousine with a faux-leather quiver of pencils.
- Kiara Blake is an English major and writing minor. She never picked up a pen to write a poem or had the courage to open her mouth to recite a poem until she was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 11. Kiara writes to spread a positive message and encourage others.
- Brian Miskowich is a senior at Kent State University, working towards his bachelor’s in English. He is a member of the Honors College and of Phi Beta Kappa. He was born and raised in Southern California, in close proximity to Los Angeles, moving to Ohio shortly after beginning college. He's been writing poetry and prose since he was a child, and some of it is even worth showing to people.
- Ellie Shorey is an intern at the Wick Poetry Center. She is pursuing an English degree with a Creative Writing minor. Her poems have appeared in Folio and Jenny, and her short chapbook, Reaching the Shore, is forthcoming from Binge Press (2012). Ellie lives in Cleveland, Ohio, with her boyfriend and dog.