Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

About the Office of the University Architect

The Office of the University Architect recently relocated to the newly-renovated Harbourt Hall.Kent State University Kent Campus
Office of the University Architect
Suite 101 Harbourt Hall
615 Loop Road, P.O. Box 5190
Kent, Ohio 44242-0001

switchboard: 330-672-3880;  fax: 330-672-2648

Office of the University Architect personnel ensure the orderly and economical development and alteration of Kent State University facilities according to sound architectural and engineering practices in keeping with the regulatory and procedural requirements of the university, state, and other governing agencies. These responsibilities are primarily driven by capital planning and construction appropriations and also by locally-funded improvements and renovations to the physical facilities.

Facility master planning and space planning services, in-house architectural and engineering design, and construction management are provided by the university architect's office. In addition, the office manages the competitive selection of associates (architects, engineers and construction managers for projects) and negotiates contracts and amendments for those services. During the life of a project, the office is responsible for preparing construction documents and bid announcements, conducting construction bid openings, awarding contracts, monitoring contractor performance and compliance with contract provisions, conducting field observations, managing construction activities, reviewing and approving payments to associates and contractors, collecting payroll data related to prevailing wage regulations, participating in dispute resolution, and overseeing final commissioning of projects.

Inquiries or requests related to the change of the physical environment at Kent State University shall be directed to the Office of the University Architect. The following are considered changes to the physical environment: 

     Additions, renovations or subdivisions of existing buildings;
     Changes to exterior site development including roads, parking areas, gardens and walks;
     Major furniture installations or reconfiguration which may affect exit routes or access for the disabled;
     Changes in utility requirements including lighting, power, data communications, heating, cooling, water or drainage;
     Major equipment purchases which may require changes in utilities;
     Signage; and
     Contracting of services for any of the above.

Initial contact with the Office of the University Architect should include the location and a brief description of the proposed changes. If the Office of the University Architect determines that the proposed change is major, a written description may be required. If determinable at the time of initial contact, the source of funds should be identified. The scope of each request shall determine the processes required for implementation.