Web Auditing Watch List | Kent State University Communications & Marketing
Usage Guidelines Around KSU
- When referring to the university, avoid KSU. Spell out Kent State University in first reference, and then use Kent State in subsequent references. When university is used alone to mean Kent State University, it is in lowercase.
- Use "and" — avoid & (ampersand) — in names of Kent State programs, offices, schools and colleges.
- Replace all instances of Graduate Catalog or Undergraduate Catalog with just Catalog
- Eight-campus system NOT network
Department Name Changes
Watch for these updated names. Some instances of the old names still exist and should be updated.
|Office of the General Counsel|
|Center for Adult and Veteran Services|
|Office of Student Conduct|
|Office of Corporate and Community Support|
|University Facilities Management|
|Office of Global Education|
|College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology|
|Center for the Performing Arts|
|Ritchie Hall||(One-name policy for named halls)|
|Schwartz Center||(One-name policy for named halls)|
|McGilvrey Hall||(Frequently misspelled)|
|University Library||(For the name of the building)|
|Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC)||(Note transposed letters)|
|University Auditorium in Cartwright Hall|
Statistics — Some Require Annual Updates
GLOBALLY recognized. NATIONALLY ranked. LOCALLY vital.
- Programs, schools and colleges ranked among the world's best.
- Northeast Ohio's first-choice public university
- Ranked among the nation's top 74 public high-research universities — Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Generated more than $1.96 billion annually in added income to the Northeast Ohio economy.
- More than 41,000 students (includes Regional Campuses)
- More than 27,000 students at Kent Campus alone
- 45 percent of classes have 20 or fewer students, and 90 percent have 50 or fewer
- More than 300 student clubs and organizations
- More than 214,000 alumni worldwide
- More than 100 years (Kent State history)
- More than 282 bachelor's degree programs
University Style and Associated Press Style
- Time treatment (does not include extra 00s):
- 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- 8:15 a.m. – noon.
- Date/month treatment
- January 2010 (not abbreviated without a date)
- Jan. 15, Feb. 21, March, April, May, June, July, Aug. 22, Sept. 23, Oct. 31, Nov. 11, Dec. 12 (abbreviated with a date)
- Phone number treatment: xxx-xxx-xxxx (hyphens, not parentheses) – Note: You can use Siteimprove to locate phone numbers on your site
- Treatment of Kent State terminology and Spelling/Case
- Kent State ID number (not Banner ID)
- FlashLine user name (not FlashLine ID, user name, email ID, user ID)
- Kent State email addresses (not University email address, KSU email address, Kent email address, FlashLine address)
- FLASHcard (not FlashCard, Flashcard, FlashCARD)
- FlashLine (not Flashline or Flash Line
- Kent Core (not LER)
- website (not web site)
- See You @ College
- Student Green
- Preview KSU!
- University Guide to Style: www.kent.edu/ucm/marketingguide/style/index.cfm
- Associated Press Quick View:
- Pages with too many Quick Links? Discuss with group what to cut, and then cut.
- "Click here" — don't use; links should contain clear language describing the resource being linked to.
- Links to helpdesk site should instead lead to support.kent.edu.