Kent State - VITA
Interested in volunteering? Check out our volunteer page.
VITA @ Kent State provides tax preparation assistance to low-to moderate-income taxpayers, including non-residents of the United States. To qualify to receive free tax preparation services at our site, you must meet the following criteria:
1. Require a U.S. Citizen or Resident alien tax return (i.e. Form 1040 not Form 1040NR). We are unable to prepare or assist with returns for nonresident aliens (Form 1040NR) this year.
2. Total household income (wages and other earnings of both spouses, if joint filing) of $53,000 or less.
3. Have income & earnings that the IRS VITA program allows us to prepare the return. We have limitations for preparing returns with cancellation of debt, Schedule C, Schedule D, and Schedule E. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org before making an appointment if you have forms 1099-B;1099-MISC; 5498-SA; 1099-SA;or if you have debt forgiveness.
4. Bring all documents listed under "Items to bring to your appointment." This includes your social security card or acceptable substitutes including a medicare card. See the Social Security guide for more information on obtaining a replacement card.
For additional information, send an e-mail email@example.com.
2014 Return Preparation - Dates and Times
NEW THIS YEAR: The site will prepare U.S. Citizen and resident alien returns only.
The site will be open on Tuesdays from 12:30pm - 4:00pm and Saturday February 7, March 7, and April 4 from 10 am - 4 pm.
ALSO NEW THIS YEAR: Appointments are not required but may be made beginning mid January by calling "211." We will not schedule appointments on the web or e-mail this year.
Prior to the return preparation, Resident aliens must be able to show that they meet the test for being a resident alien. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org after you make your appointment or we may not be able to prepare your return at your appointment.
Nonresident aliens - We are not certified to prepare nonresident alien returns but the Office of Global Education provides free software - Glacier Tax Prep - to prepare their returns. More information can be found at http://bit.ly/VITANRA.
Other sites can be found by using the VITA SITE LOCATOR: http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/
Make an appointment -NEW THIS YEAR - US citizens and resident aliens ONLY - call "211" to schedule an appointment.
Items to bring to your appointment
To have your tax return(s) prepared, you need to bring the following information with you:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Bring one of the following:
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns - these are very important.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- For the tuition credit, in addition to the current year 1098-T, bring a copy of your 1098-T for the prior year,
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Site LocationVITA @ Kent State will be held in Schwartz Center. More details on the site location will be announced in January.
We will have signs to guide you to the site, both outside and inside of the building.
Your Civil Rights are protected. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. For more information, please see IRS Publication 4481.
Kent State Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
SELF-ASSISTED VITA RETURN OPTION
Prepare your own taxes anytime you would like!!
US citizens, Greencard holders and Resident aliens who have gross income of $58,000 or less with a basic tax return may prepare the 2014 tax return using HR Block software. Start your return now at new single URL www.MyFreeTaxes.com. Click the yellow "File Now" icon to get your free return started. If you have questions or need assistance, please e-mail email@example.com and we will get back with you as soon as possible.
COMMUNITY LEGAL AID
If you cannot pay your taxes due to hardship, you can contact the hotline for free legal aid.
Tel: (800) 998-9454