Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Tax Compliance at Kent State University

The tax function is led by the tax manager and includes the following responsibilities:

  • Serve as the tax reporting and compliance function
  • Provide consultation on various topics
  • Act as a resource to the University community for tax issues
  • Advise on University policy and procedure development with respect to tax issues
  • Perform tax research and analysis and prepare written memorandum to support conclusions
  • Monitor developments in tax laws and regulations and their impact on the University

The tax function is responsible for tax reporting and compliance in the areas of sales tax, real estate tax and unrelated business income tax.  

The tax function advises:

  • Payroll on employment tax withholding/reporting and income tax withholding/reporting.  Procurement issues and maintains sales tax exemption certificates.  Also, foreign reporting for individuals in processed through payroll with review by the tax manager. 
  • Accounts payable with respect to information reporting (Form 1099) and foreign reporting on payments made to non-individuals.
  • Procurement on sales tax exemption questions.  Procurement issues sales tax exemption certificates.
  • Human Resources on independent contractor approvals..

The tax manager leads the volunteer income tax assistance program (VITA@Kent State)  This program may be able to provide assistance to students, employees, and the general public.  The university is not able to provide tax advice outside of assistance through the VITA program.


Paula S. DiVencenzo, CPA, M. Tax
Tax Manager
Financial Reporting and Cash Management
Treasury & Tax Services
232 Schwartz Center
Kent, OH 44242-0001
Phone 330-672-8622
Fax 330-672-5434 

Tax Email:



The tax website is expressly intended for the purposes of providing information on various tax matters encountered by Kent State University's staff, faculty, and students.    This information contained within the website and on any attachments is provided only as a guide and is not intended as tax advice.  Please consult the tax manager on matters that pertain to the University.  We recommend that you seek professional tax advice from a qualified accountant or attorney for guidance on your specific tax obligations.