- Every 2 minutes, someone in the United States is sexually assaulted¹
- 1 in 4 college women is a survivor of rape or attempted rape²
- 1 in 6 men is sexually assaulted during his lifetime³
- About 3/4 of sexual assaults of college students involve alcohol use*
- 9 out of 10 sexual assaults of college women are committed by someone known to the victim**
- Persons with disabilities are 1.5 to 5 times more likely to be victims of sexual assault***
- Victims of sexual assault are:****
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
- 60% of sexual assaults are never reported to the police*¹
- 21% of college students report abuse in their current relationship*²
- Women aged 16 to 24 experience the highest rate of dating violence*²
- Persons 18-24 years old experience the highest rate of stalking*³
- About 13% of female college students report being stalked**
²Warshaw, R. (1994). I Never Called it Rape.
³Dube, S.R., Anda, R.F., Whitfield, C.L., et al. (2005). Long-term consequences of childhood sexual abuse by gender of victim. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 28, 430–438.
*Abbey, A. (2002). Alcohol-Related Sexual Assault: A Common Problem among College Students. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Supplement No. 14, 118-128.
**Fisher, S., Cullen, F., Turner, M., 2000. The Sexual Victimization of College Women. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.
***Sobsey, D. 1992. The National Center on Child Sexual Abuse, The National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect.
****World Health Organization (2002) as cited by RAINN.org.
*¹Bureau of Justice Statistics. Rape and Sexual Assault: Reporting to Police and Medical Attention1992-2000 as cited by RAINN.org.
*²Sellers and M. Bromley (1996). Violent Behavior in College Student Dating Relationships. Journal of Contemporary Justice. *³ Baum et al. (2009). "Stalking victimization in the United States."