Oscar Ritchie Scholars Guild
Welcome Oscar Ritchie Memorial Scholars!
- Oscar Ritchie came to Kent State University in 1942 and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Sociology in 1946.
- Ritchie began his graduate study in 1946 and soon filled a teaching vacancy in the department of Sociology. Although he was a graduate student, Ritchie held a position usually held by a full time faculty member.
- Appointed as a full time faculty member in the fall of 1947. This appointment made him the first African American to serve on the faculty of any predominantly white university in Ohio, a distinct honor.
- The building that we call Oscar Ritchie Hall was named in his honor on November 10, 1977.
- In 1985, the members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity joined with the Department of Pan-African Studies to establish the Oscar Ritchie Freshman textbook loan program, today known as the Oscar Ritchie Book Scholarship. The Programs continues today by providing academic scholarships to African American, Latino American, and Native American students enrolled at the Kent campus.
The Oscar Ritchie Scholars Guild
- The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Student Financial Aid Office formulated the Oscar Ritchie Memorial Scholars Guild for Oscar Ritchie Memorial Scholarship recipients.
- AALANA (African American, Latino American and Native American) student scholarship recipients have the opportunity of being inducted into the Kent State University Oscar Ritchie Scholars Guild.
- As members of the Oscar Ritchie Memorial Scholars Guild participants have first hand access to support resources such as study tables, tutorial assistance and academic coaches. An achievement recognition celebration is held each year to recognize members of this prestigious initiative on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012, in the Kiva Auditorium with a formal reception following.
"DeStress Before the Test: Occupy the SMC!"
Monday-Wednesday, April 21-23, 2014, 5:00-7:00 PM
Thursday & Friday, April 24-25, 2014, 12:30-2:00 PM
Student Multicultural Center
Kent Student Center, Room 206
Please join the Oscar Ritchie Scholars Guild of the Student Multicultural Center, Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for week to occupy the Student Multicultural Center with games, snacks and relaxation. Come together to enjoy the company of family and friends before finals begin.