Mary Anne Nichols
- M.L.S., Kent State University
- B.S. (Marketing), University of Akron
- Associate Lecturer, Non-Tenure Track - Kent State University School of Library and Information Science, August 2006 to present
- Series Co-Editor - Libraries Unlimited Professional Guides for Young Adult Librarians, Libraries Unlimited, April 1999 - present
- Adjunct Faculty - Kent State University School of Library and Information Science
- School Age and Young Adult Librarian- Akron-Summit County Public Library, Akron, Ohio
Honors and Awards
- Kent State University College of Communication and Information Outstanding Teaching Award (2012)
- Kent State University Graduate Applause (2008) (2010)
- Ohio Library Foundation Research Award for Outstanding Publication in the Field of Library Service (1999)
- United States Title IIB Library Career Training Fellowship (1992)
Courses Taught by Mary Anne Nichols
- LIS 60608 The Public Library
- LIS 60609 Marketing the Library
- LIS 60626 Library Materials and Services to Young Adults
- LIS 60629 Library Materials and Services to School Aged Children
- LIS 61095 ST: Issues and Strategies for Serving Teens in Public Libraries
- YA Best Bets: A Literature Update
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Nichols, Mary Anne. Merchandising Library Materials to Young Adults. Englewood, CO.: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- Nichols, Mary Anne (co-editor). Young Adults and Public Libraries: A Handbook of Materials and Services. Westport, CT.: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- "Reality Check: Teaching Future Leaders in Teen Services." VOYA June 2013.
- "Picture Perfect: Picture Books for Teens." VOYA, December 2011. Co-Writer with Carolyn Brodie.
- "Spreading the Word: Selling Summer Reading." YAttitudes, Spring 2005. Co-Writer with C. Allen Nichols.
- "Young Adult Services in the Future." Ohio Libraries Spring 2000.
- "The State of Young Adult Library Services in Ohio." Ohio Libraries. Spring/Summer 1996.
- "Who Are You What Do You Want: Marketing Young Adult Services." Ohio Libraries. Fall 1999.
- Teen Library Materials and Services
- School-Age Library Materials and Services
- Public Library Services
- Marketing Library Services
American Library Association
- YALSA Popular Paperbacks Selection Committee Member (2012-2013)
- YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Award Selection Committee Member (2011-2012)
- YALSA Margaret A. Edwards Committee Member (2008-2010)
- YALSA Excellence in Library Services to YAs Jury Member (2007)
- YALSA Editorial Advisory Board; Member (2005-2006)
- Chair (2007) Grolier Award Committee (1997-1998)
Ohio Library Council
- James Cook Book Award Selection Committee Member (2008-2009)
- Library Services to Children and Teens Conference Planning Member (2008)
- Editor, OH YA! : A Manual for Library Staff Who Work With Young Adults (2001)
- Awards and Honors Committee (1999-2001)
- Young Adult Services Division; Secretary (1996); Assistant Coordinator/Coordinator-elect (1997); Coordinator (1998)
- Chosen to participate in Library Leadership 2000 (1995 class) and Advanced Library Leadership 2000 (1998 class)
Ohio Educational Library Media Association
- Member (2007-present)
Virginia Hamilton Conference on Multicultural Youth Advisory Board member
Kent State University School of Library and Information Science
- Alumni and Friends Council Founding member (1997) Secretary (1997-1999)
Beta Phi Mu: The Library and Information Science Honor Society Member
- KSU SLIS Faculty Representative
CAMLS Regional Library System
- Young Adult Services Committee (1993-2000); Chair (1997-1998); Secretary (1995-1996)
- Young Adult Mentoring Task Force (1995-1996)