Don A. Wicks, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. (Library and Information Science), University of Western Ontario
- Master of Biblical Studies, London Baptist Seminary (now Heritage Theological Seminary)
- M.A. (History), University of Guelph
- B.A. (History), University of Winnipeg
Courses Taught by Dr. Wicks
- 60601 Information Sources and Services
- 60610 Management of Libraries and Information Centers
- 60614 Selection and Acquisition of Library Materials
- 60621 Social Sciences Information Sources and Services
- 61055 Legal Information and Law Resources Across the Disciplines
- Learning Library Instruction (formerly Basics of BI Planning)
- Electronic Reference Start Up
- Legal Resources for Non-Law Librarians
- Making Teamwork Work (with Dr. Stansbury)
- Sports Reference: Sources for Sports Information
Dr. Wicks has been a member of SLIS faculty since 1999.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Selected Honors and Research Grants
- Team Member for Institute of Museums & Library Services, National Leadership Grant, Project: "Health Information Seeking Behaviors of Older Adults: Research to Guide Development of Health Literacy Skills, Library Programming, and Community Networks," 2005-06 through 2007-08. Dr. Mary Stansbury & Prof. Ruth Ludwick, co-PIs.
- RUSA Reference Press Award Committee, Recognition as "One of the Best Articles Written in RUSQ in the Past Two Years," February 2006. [For Cardina, Christen; and Wicks, Donald. The Changing Roles of Academic Reference Librarians over a Ten year Period. RUSQ v. 44 (2): 133-142 (Winter 2004).
- Faculty/Undergraduate Research Funding Grant, Project: "The Interdisciplinary Gerontology Research Base Available Through the Kent State University Library System," Kent State University, 2002-2003.
- Graduate's Applause: Certificate of Achievement (awarded to a teacher who made a difference in the life of a graduate of Kent State University). Kent State University, October 25, 2002; Oct. 30, 2008.
- Named by a 2007 graduate as a person who had a particularly positive impact on a student's experience at Kent State University.
- Institute for Excellence in Leadership: Participant, 2008-2009.
Roland, Daniel, and Don A. Wicks, co-editors. (2011). Advances in the study of information & religion. Vol. 1, August 2011. [An online annual publication; ISSN 2161-0177].
Wicks, Don A. (2011). New Horizons: A Center for Research into Information and Religion. Journal of Religious & Theological Information. 10 (1-2), 1-4.
- Roland, Daniel, and Don A. Wicks. (2009). A conversational model for qualitative research: A case study of clergy and religious knowledge. Australian Academic & Research Libraries. 39 (4) (December). 252-265.
- Roland, Daniel, and Don A. Wicks. (2009). Qualitative research in the new century: Map points in insider research. Canadian Association for Information Science, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, May 28-30. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the Canadian Association for Information Science/L'association canadienne des sciences d l'information (CAIS/ACSI), Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada, May 28-30, 2009 [Abstract refereed]. [Available at http://www.cais-acsi.ca/proceedings/2009/Wicks_Roland_2009.pdf]
- Brown-Syed, Christopher; Lynda Baker; Don A. Wicks. (2008). Doctoral recruitment factors: Results of a survey of deans and directors. Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, 49 (2, Spring 2008), 107-115.
- Wicks, Don A., and Margaret Maurer, co-producers. (2006). Touring technical services. An instructional and training video produced by Libraries & Media Services, Kent State University, Kent, OH (22 minutes). [Available at http://kira.lms.kent.edu:554/TTS384k.mov]
- Wicks, Don A., and Edith Scarletto. (2005). Information seeking and source availability in gerontology research. In Liwen Vaughan, ed., Data, Information, and Knowledge in a Networked World. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Canadian Association for Information Science/L'association canadienne des sciences d l'information (CAIS/ACSI), The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada, June 2-4, 2005 [Abstract refereed]. [Available at http://www.cais-acsi.ca/proceedings/2005/wicks_2005.pdf]
- Cardina, Christin, and Don A. Wicks. (2004). The changing roles of academic reference librarians over a ten-year period. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 44 (2, Winter), 133-142.
- Maurer, Margaret, and Don A. Wicks. (2004). Convergence of education & practice. Research Sharing & Information Networks, 17 (1/2), 57-75. Co-published simultaneously in Libraries within their institutions: Creative collaborations (ed. William Miller and Rita M. Pellen). Binghampton, NY: The Haworth Information Press, 2004, pp. 57-75.
- Wicks, Don A. (2004). Older adults and their information seeking. Behavioral & Social Sciences Librarian, 22 (2), 1-26.
- Wicks, Don A. (2003). Building bridges for seniors: Older adults and the digital divide. In Wilhelm C. Peekhaus & Louise F. Spiteri, eds. Bridging the digital divide: Equalizing access to information and communication technologies. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Canadian Association for Information Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2003 [Abstract refereed]. [Available at http://www.cais-acsi.ca/proceedings/2003/Wicks_2003.pdf]
- Bartolo, Laura; Don A. Wicks; Valerie Ott. (2002). Border crossing in a research university: An exploratory analysis of a library approval plan profile in Geography. Collection Management, 27 (3/4), 29-44.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Roland, Daniel and Don A. Wicks. (2011). Understandings of Domestic Violence Revealed Through the Information Vehicle of the Sunday Sermon. International Conference on Religion and Spirituality in Society. Chicago, IL, February 15-17, 2011.
- Wicks, Don A. (2010). Depictions of Religion in Children's Picture Books. Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Baltimore, MD, October 29-31, 2010.
- Roland, Daniel and Don A. Wicks. (2010). Political Cue Giving in Sermons and the Common Lectionary Affect: A Study of Sermons Speaking to Matthew 22:15-22 in a Presidential Election Year. Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Baltimore, MD, October 29-31, 2010.
- Wicks, Don A. (2010) Center for Research into Information and Religion: Making Connections. A presentation to the Spring 2010 Meeting of the Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Church & Synagogue Library Association, Stow, OH, 18 May 2010.
- Wicks, Don A. (2009). Setting the Stage for Discovery: A New Center for Research into Information and Religion. Society for the Scientific Study of Religion Annual Meeting. October 23, Denver, CO.
- Roland, Daniel and Don A. Wicks. (2009). Qualitative Research in the New Century: Map Points in Insider Research. Canadian Association for Information Science, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, May 28-30.
- Roland, Daniel and Don A. Wicks. (2009). A Conversational Model for Qualitative Research: A Case Study of Clergy and Religious Knowledge. A paper presented to the 5th annual Conference of RAILS (Research Applications in Information & Library Studies), The University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, Australia, January 23, 2009. [Refereed paper].
- Ludwick, Ruth, Mary Stansbury, Diana Baycich, Rosemary DuMont, Don Wicks, Rich Zeller. (2009). Health Information Seeking Behavior of Older Adults. A Poster presented to the Celebration of Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH, February 10-12.
- Roland, Daniel and Don A. Wicks. (2009). A Conversational Model for Qualitative Research: A Case Study of Clergy and Religious Knowledge. A paper presented to the 5th annual Conference of RAILS (Research Applications in Information & Library Studies), The University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, Australia, January 23, 2009.
- Roland, Dan and Don A. Wicks. (2008). Facilitating Beneficial Reflection for the Informants of Qualitative Research. A presentation to "Future Directions: Information Behavior in Design & the Making of Relevant Research", 8th Annual Research Symposium of Special Interest Group on Information Needs, Seeking, and Use (SI, USE), ASIS&T, Columbus, OH, Saturday, Oct. 25, 2008. http://www.siguse.org
- Wicks, Don A. and Margaret Maurer. (2008). Creating Digital Media Applications in a Collaborating Environment. A paper presented at the 34th Annual Conference of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Wilmington, OH, October 24, 2008.
- Wicks, Don A. (2008). Comparing Codes: A Biblical Assessment of the Ethics Statements of Profession Associations. A paper presented to The National Faculty Leadership Conference. Washington, DC, June 27-29, 2008.
- Wicks, Don A. (2007). Working With Seniors: Methodological Issues in Information Research, Fall 2007 Colloquium, School of Library & Information Management, Emporia State University, Emporia, KS, Nov. 16, 2007. Invited lecture.
- Maurer, Margaret; Don A. Wicks; Shane Roach. (2007). Using Video to Enhance Your Teaching: Producing an Educational Movie. A poster presentation at the 14th Annual Conference Celebrating College Teaching. Kent State University, Kent, OH, Nov. 1-2, 2007.
- Maurer, Margaret; Don A. Wicks; Shane Roach. (2007). Enhance your teaching through video production: Making a movie from concept to completion. A paper presented to the 19th Annual Lilly Conference on College & University Teaching - West, March 16-17, 2007, Pomona, CA. [PowerPoint available at http://www.personal.kent.edu/~mbmaurer/LillyWest.html]
- Interim Director, School of Library & Information Science, Kent State University, August 2010-present
- Director, Center for the Study of information & Religion, Kent State University, 2009-present.
- Co-Chair (with R. Rubin). Internal Review Committee for the graduate program in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management, Kent State University, 2008.
- Member, Faculty Senate, Kent State University. 2008-2010. Elected by the faculty of College of Information & Communication.
- Member, College Advisory Council, College of Communication & Information, Kent State University, 2005-2010.
- Member, Admissions, Honors & Awards Committee, School of Library & Information Science, KSU, 2007- present; Chair, 2009-present.
Member (representing CCI), Provost's Advisory Council, 2009-2010.
Member, Institutional Review Board, Kent State University, Fall 2000-Summer 2007
- Member & sometimes Chair, Student Appeals Committee, School of Library & Information Science, KSU, 2000-2010. Chair, 2001-2006.
- Departmental Representative for Collection Development, Library & Information Science, Kent State University, 2000-2010.
- Member, Advisory Board, Fortis College Library, Ravenna, OH, 2009-present.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board:
- Journal of Religious & Theological Information, November 2008-present
- Asian Journal of Information Science & Technology, July 2011-present
- Co-chair, ALISE Recruitment Committee, 2007-2008; member, 2006.
- ASLIB Proceedings, 2011-present
- Journal of Religious & Theological Information, 2009-present
- Canadian Journal of Information & Library Science, 2010-present
- Reference & User Services Quarterly (RUSQ), 2004-present.
- Scarecrow Press, Lanham, MD, June 2002-present (Information Literacy)
- Neal-Schuman Publishers, Summer 2008 (Collection Management)
- Paper Contest, The Special Interest Group on International Information Issues (SIG-III) of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T), 2009.
- Library Science Research Seminar IV, London, ON, Canada, October 2007.
- Information-Seeking Behavior of Clergy
- Access to Information for Senior Populations
- Information and Religion
- Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO)
- American Theological Library Association (ATLA)
- Association of Christian Librarians (ACL)
- Canadian Association for Information Science (CAIS)
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion (SSR)
OFFICESchool of Library and Information Science
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-0011
COURSES TEACHINGSummer 2014
- LIS 50693 - 009 Wksp : Learn Library Inst
- LIS 60610 - 003 Mngmt Libraries And Info Cntrs
- LIS 60614 - 001 Sel And Acquis - Library Mats
- LIS 60670 - 021 Culminating Experience
- LIS 50693 - 002 Wksp : Delivering Digital
- LIS 60092 - 051 Culmin Exper Internship In Lis
- LIS 60610 - 004 Mngmt Libraries And Info Cntrs
- LIS 60614 - 002 Sel And Acquis - Library Mats
- LIS 60610 - 001 Mngmt Libraries And Info Cntrs