- Plan Your Program
- Learn Online
- Start Your Career
I've just received my admission letter. What should I do now?
The links below will tell you everything you need to know about the Student Handbook, Kent State parking permits (if appropriate), applying for financial aid and more. It may look like a lot to cover; just take it one link at a time!
- Check out the student handbook.
- The student handbook is located under the “Forms and Documents” link, as a linked .pdf document titled “Student Handbook.”
- Once you are admitted, please read through the handbook, as it contains important information on policies, procedures, and other elements concerning your graduate program. These elements include academic advising, the policy on acceptance of transfer credits, courses and workshops, registration, and more. It also contains information on the time limit to complete the program, as well as your culminating experience options for the end of your program of study.
- Subscribe to the listserv for course updates, cancellations, job announcements and more.
- The listserv is the School’s primary mechanism for sharing information about the program. Messages announce breaking news, course or individual class changes, cancellations, new job postings, and much more. It is also a forum where students are encouraged to discuss topics pertinent to the field of library and information science.
- Click the heading above for instructions on how to sign up for the listserv.
- Get your official Kent State FLASHcard.
- To apply for a FLASHCard, visit the “Forms and Documents” link, and click on the “New (Incoming) Students” link. Once you are redirected to this section, click on the “How to get your Kent ID (FLASHCard)” link. This will open a .pdf form.
- Complete the form and follow the directions on how to submit the form.
- Get a parking permit for the Kent Campus. (You only need this if you're attending classes on the Kent Campus. Parking is free at the State Library of Ohio where the SLIS Columbus classes are held. And no parking permit is needed if you are enrolled in online classes, of course.)
- Kent Campus students: To apply for a Kent State parking permit, visit www.kent.edu/parking, and click on the “Student parking” link in the left navigation bar.
- Read the “Student Parking Information” page, and then click on the “Commuter Permit Types, Prices, Purchase” link in the left navigation bar.
- Once there, select “Purchase Permit Online” and follow the directions listed on each page to purchase a parking permit.
- Get to know M.L.I.S. forms, handbooks and other documents. (P.S. You'll be coming back to this page a lot.)
- Most of the forms you will need to use and complete during your graduate studies within the School of Library and Information Science are available on the “Forms and Documents” page. Forms and documents are arranged by category, and categories include “Course Planning,” “Advising Materials,” and “Culminating Experience or Thesis Requirement.”
- If you are unsure where to find a specific form or document, try completing a general search for the form in the “search SLIS” bar, included in the left navigation bar.
- If you still cannot find the form or document you require after conducting this search, please contact email@example.com for further assistance.
- Learn about financial aid opportunities.
- Tuition and Financial Aid: information on tuition rates, a link to the Kent State Financial Aid website, scholarships available through Kent State based on your program of study and other factors, and grants for which you may be eligible.
- Many of the scholarships, and all of the graduate assistantships, are criteria-dependent, so be sure to read through the information provided under each category before applying.
- If you have further questions related to tuition, financial aid, scholarships and/or graduate assistantships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out all the scholarships offered by SLIS and various professional organizations. (Pay special attention to application deadlines.)