Preparing a Proposal
We provide technical advice to faculty and staff who are preparing proposals and assist with guideline interpretation, budget preparation, and adherence to university policies and to federal regulations. As agencies issue new regulations or revise old ones, we keep the University community informed, monitoring the proposals for the required adjustments. When time permits, we can also review and edit proposal drafts.
- Application Forms – Our office can help you locate application packages and forms. Moreover, faculty and staff who wish to respond to a program announcement may request the application packet from the Sponsored Programs office. These forms are also available on agency websites, or increasingly, available on grants.gov for federal funding opportunities.
- Proposal Preparation Guide is a resource for faculty and staff who are unfamiliar with the proposal preparation process. This guide is generic, serving as a reference. It is a general model of a proposal's essential components and should not be considered a substitute for agency guidelines.
- Proposal Submission Process Flowchart is a visual representation of the proposal submission process at Kent State University.
- Institutional Fact Sheet contains general information often required on a proposal's cover page. The Division of Research and Graduate Studies updates this sheet periodically.
- Conflict of Interest Screening Form A Conflict of Interest Screening Form must be submitted to the Sponsored Programs Office with each proposal. A form is required for key personnel and other persons providing intellectual contributions on the proposed project. In completing the form, the individuals must disclose to the designated university official a list of significant financial interests (as well as a list of the financial interests of his/her spouse and dependent children) that could compromise the objectivity of the proposed activity.
- Pubmed Central Form - As of April 2008, NIH requires submission of all publications that are the result of agency-funded activities to be submitted to their publication clearinghouse, Pubmed Central. This internal form will be kept on file by Sponsored Programs acknowledging the PI's understanding of and intention to comply with this policy.