Military Call-Up Guidelines
- The guidelines apply to students called involuntarily to active duty.
- All "call-up" requests will be handled by the University Registrar's Office; Barb Lloyd will be the contact person and can be reached at 330-672-1614 (on-campus 21614).
- Students must submit a copy of their mobilization order to the University Registrar's Office. These can be faxed to 330-672-4836 or sent to the University Registrar's Office, 122 Schwartz Center, Kent State University, Kent, OH. 44242-0001.
- If students must leave immediately, they may contact Barb Lloyd 330-672-1614 and leave their name, Kent State University ID number or Social Security Number, reserve unit designation and location, name of unit aid and phone number, and whether or not they are enrolled in the Kent State ROTC.
- Students that must leave abruptly will be given every consideration upon their return and their abrupt departure will not be held against them.
- "Called-Up" students must exit the University and will receive "W" grades. They will receive a 100% refund of tuition and a prorated refund for housing and food upon receipt of a copy of their mobilization order.
- Eligibility for Incomplete Grades is governed by the policy language in the University Catalog. A grade of "incomplete" can only be acquired during the last 3 weeks of the term.
Students who have been called involuntarily to active duty as a member of a unit or as an individual reservist will be accorded certain procedural prerogatives provided they follow the established exit procedure and submit an official copy of their mobilization order. The student should send a copy of the Official Order to the Registrar to complete the transaction. The Registrar will notify the students' instructors and college office. Whether a student takes an incomplete or withdraws is a decision left to the student and the instructor of each course. In some cases, a student may be able to finish the course by making arrangements with the instructor.
In the event that a unit is immediately deployed and the established procedure cannot be followed, a telephone call to the Office of the University Registrar should be made to leave the following instructions:
- Name, Kent State University ID Number or Social Security Number
- Reserve Unit Designation
- Reserve Unit Permanent Location (Armory or Reserve Center including street address, city, state, zip, telephone number)
- Enrolled in ROTC at Kent (Yes/No)
Students who had to leave without being able to make arrangements with the University will be given every consideration upon their return and their abrupt departure will not be held against them.
Students called to active service near the end of the term may request incompletes. In anticipation of such requests, the following practices should be observed:
- The University should follow its current policy limiting incompletes to the last three weeks of the term.
- Students must elect all incompletes or withdraw from all courses.
- Students who elect incompletes are not eligible for refund of fees.
- Normally, students who take incompletes are required to make up the missing part of the work within one semester (not including summer sessions) for undergraduates and one calendar year for graduates. Kent State University will permit the incompletes to stand until a reasonable time has passed following the students tour of active duty.
- In cases where an incomplete is assigned, an Incomplete Form should be completed by the instructor that specifies work remaining to be completed, the percent of the grade riding on the incomplete work, and the grade earned to date.
- Students called to active duty may withdraw from all courses.
- Students who withdraw before the third week will have the courses expunged from their record.
- Students who withdraw after the second week will have a W for each course placed on their record.
- Students who choose to exit must withdraw from all courses.
- Students who withdraw from all courses will receive a 100% refund for tuition and a prorated refund for housing and food.
Leaving During Break Procedures:Students called to active duty between semesters may have their schedules canceled for nonpayment. The University will review and rectify their financial and academic records upon receipt of a copy of their orders.
Student Responsibilities:The student should contact each instructor and determine whether it is best to withdraw, or take an incomplete and devise a plan to complete the work. If there is not time to contact each individual instructor, the student should contact the Office of the University Registrar or college office. The student should send a copy of his/her orders to the Registrar when that is possible.
Student Loans:Because students may have participated in multiple lending programs (perhaps from different institutions), the student should contact the appropriate agency(ies) listed below:
Federal Perkins Loan and Nursing Loans:
Contact the Bursars Office at Kent State University (Phone: 330-672-2626)
Federal Direct Student Loan:
Contact the Student Loan Servicing Center (Phone: 888-447-4460)
Federal Stafford Loan (Bank Loan):
Contact your respective lender, servicer, or guarantee agency