Administrative policy and procedures regarding holidays for administrative contract and unrepresented hourly classified employees
(A) Holiday observance.
(1) The following holidays will be observed annually by administrative, professional, and nonacademic employees:
(a) First of January; (New Year's day)
(b) Third Monday in January; (Martin Luther King Jr. day)
(c) Third Monday in February; (presidents' day)
(d) Last Monday in May; (memorial day)
(e) Fourth of July; (independence day)
(f) First Monday in September; (labor day)
(g) Second Monday in October; (Columbus Day)
(h) Eleventh of November; (Veterans Day)
(i) Fourth Thursday in November; (Thanksgiving Day)
(j) Twenty-fifth of December; (Christmas Day)
(k) And any other days so designated by an act of the president of the United States and/or the governor of the state of Ohio.
(2) University offices and departments will normally be closed and classes will not be scheduled on each of the indicated holidays.
(3) Specific observance dates are announced in the university calendar. Holidays indicated on the third Monday in January, the third Monday in February, and the second Monday in October may be rescheduled by the university for observance on other days.
(4) If a holiday falls on a Sunday, it will be observed on the following Monday. If a holiday falls on Saturday, it will be observed on the preceding Friday.
(B) Necessary services. When the university is closed in observance of a holiday, it is essential that certain necessary or essential services be maintained. When an unrepresented employee required by his/her responsible administrative authority to work on a holiday the following provisions will apply:
(1) Administrative contract employees. When an unclassified contract employee is required to be present for duty on a day otherwise recognized as a legal holiday, that employee may take a compensatory day off at a time mutually agreed upon by the employee and his/her supervisor. Under no circumstances will an administrative contract or professional appointee receive additional pay for a holiday upon which he/she is required to perform services.
(2) Classified employees. A full-time employee, regardless of his/her work shift or schedule, is automatically entitled to holiday pay for the number of hours he/she is normally scheduled to work at his/her regular rate of pay. A part-time employee is entitled to holiday pay for that number of hours for which he/she would normally have been scheduled to work.
(C) Holidays during leave.
(1) If a holiday occurs during a period of paid sick or vacation leave, the employee will draw normal holiday pay and will not be charged for sick leave or vacation.
(2) An employee must be in active pay status for the entire scheduled work day immediately preceding the holiday to receive holiday compensation.
(3) A full-time employee with a work schedule other than Monday through Friday is entitled to eight hours of pay for any holiday observed on his/her day off.
Effective: March 1, 2015
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/1977, 10/26/1979, 4/11/1997, 6/1/2007