Operational procedures and regulations regarding Kent student center advisory board
(1) The purpose of the Kent student center advisory board is to aid in the development of general policy for the Kent student center; to assist in the formulation and review of its annual budget; and to recommend solutions to procedural problems in the daily operations of the Kent student center. The Kent student center advisory board is a recommending body which will submit all its policy recommendations through the director of the Kent student center to the vice president for enrollment management and student affairs for approval by the board if necessary.
(2) With regard to operational procedures and regulations, the recommendations of the Kent student center advisory board will be submitted to the director of the Kent student center for implementation. Should the Kent student center advisory board reach a recommendation that the director of the Kent student center believes to be administratively detrimental to the Kent student center, both parties will present their views to the vice president for enrollment management and student affairs for his or her ruling on the issue.
(1) Voting members. One representative shall be appointed by the following organizations:
(a) All campus programming board;
(b) Alumni relations;
(c) Black united students;
(d) Commuter and off campus student organization;
(e) Faculty representative appointed by faculty senate;
(f) Graduate student senate;
(g) Inter-Greek programming board;
(h) Kent interhall council;
(i) Undergraduate student government; and
(j) Nonaffiliated students.
(2) One alternate shall be appointed by each of the organizations listed in this paragraph. The alternate shall vote only in the absence of the representative.
(3) Two nonaffiliated student representatives and a nonaffiliated alternate for each shall be appointed by the board. The alternate shall vote only in the absence of the representative.
(4) Ex officio, nonvoting members;
(a) Director, Kent student center;
(b) Assistant dean for enrollment management and student affairs; and
(c) A representative of the mayor of the city of Kent.
(5) The attendance of the assistant dean for enrollment management and student affairs and the representative of the mayor of the city of Kent is optional, depending on the agenda.
(a) Each group or organization represented may select the term of office for its representative. Groups are encouraged to make the term of office for at least one academic year. Each organization shall send to the secretary of this board written confirmation of the names of its appointees at the time of said appointments.
(b) Any necessary suborganization of the board shall be established by the chairperson.
(a) The director of the Kent student center shall be the chairperson. Clerical help to staff the committee will be provided by the director.
(b) A student will be elected to serve as vice chairperson.
(3) A quorum is defined as fifty per cent or more of the voting members during the academic year and thirty per cent of voting members during the summer.
(4) Plurality. A two-thirds vote of those members present and voting shall be required to pass any motion or nomination.
(D) Loss of voting privilege.
(1) Either the representative or the alternate representative of an organization is expected to attend each board meeting. In the event that an organization fails to have such a person present for at least half of the regularly scheduled meetings in any given semester, that organization shall lose its voting privilege beginning with the next semester. An organization may regain its vote by sending a nonvoting representative to three consecutive board meetings. The vote is regained at the third meeting.
(2) Each nonaffiliated student representative or the alternate representative is expected to attend each board meeting. Failure of a nonaffiliated member to attend at least half of the regularly scheduled meetings in any semester shall result in dismissal of said student from membership on the board, effective at the end of the semester.
(3) A vote may be neither lost nor regained during summer session.
(E) Meetings. The Kent student center advisory board will meet at least once each month. Meetings may be called more frequently at the discretion of the chairperson or the director of the Kent student center.
(F) Rules of order. In any situation regarding rules of order not covered in this document, the latest revision of "Robert's Rules of Order" will prevail.
Effective: March 1, 2015
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/1977, 10/5/1979, 4/30/1982, 6/21/1995, 5/9/1997, 6/4/2003, 6/1/2007, 7/26/2012