Definition of terms used in the rules of Kent State University
(A) As used in agency level 3342 of the Administrative Code:
(1) Board. “Board” means the board of trustees of the university in which the government of the university is vested pursuant to section 3341.02 of the Revised Code.
(2) Chairman. “Chairman” means the chairman of the board which is the same office as that referred to as “president” in section 3341.03 of the Revised Code.
(3) Instructional units. “Instructional units” means the departments and schools, except the graduate colleges and the school of library science, of the university.
(4) Plant. “Plant” means the buildings and permanent equipment of the university.
(5) President. “President” means the president of the university.
(6) University. “University” means Kent state university as established in Chapter 3341. of the Revised Code.
(7) Vice-chairman. “Vice-chairman” means the vice-chairman of the board which is the same office as that referred to as “vice president” in section 3341.03 of the Revised Code.
(8) Regular full-time faculty member. A faculty member with regular academic rank the sum of whose teaching, research, and/or administrative responsibilities and assignments constitutes fulltime employment (one hundred per cent full-time employment) at Kent state university.
(9) Full-time non-tenure-track faculty member. A faculty member whose employment contract is for a duration of one year the sum of whose teaching, research, and/or administrative responsibilities and assignment constitutes full-time employment (one hundred per cent full-time employment) at Kent state university but who does not hold an appointment in a tenure-track position.
(10) Regular academic rank. “Regular academic rank” denotes the expectation or possibility of indefinite tenure- instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor, plus such descriptive honorific, or courtesy designations as “research,” “university,” “distinguished,” and so forth.
(11) Student. “Student” means any person admitted or enrolled at the university in any of its courses, programs, campuses, or offerings, including, but not limited to, cooperative programs or offerings with other institutions for whom a record is made at the university by the registrar or which is submitted to the university for admission or transfer credit.
(12) Academic sanction. “Academic sanction” means any of the various sanctions specifically listed in, but not limited to, those in rule 3342-3-07 of this Administrative Code.
(13) Instructor. “Instructor” means any person employed or appointed to teach in any course or program offering of the university, or a committee appointed to assess, evaluate, or grade a thesis, dissertation or work. Any decision to such a committee shall be by majority votes.
(14) Chairperson. “Chairperson” means the chief administrative officer of a department, school, or program whose position is that of a first organizational level academic level with a teaching faculty.
(15) Dean. “Dean” means the chief academic officer of a college, independent school, regional campus or equivalent.
(16) Department. “Department” means an academic unit headed by a chairperson or director.
(17) College. “College” means an academic unit headed by a chairperson or director.
(18) Regional campus. “Regional campus” means any of the Kent state university system of community-oriented institutions.
(19) Person with a disability. “Person with a disability” means any person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.
(20) Qualified individual with a disability. "Qualified individual with a disability" means a person with a disability who meets the academic and technical standards requisite to admission or participation in the recipient's education program or activity.
(21) Alcoholic beverage. “Alcoholic beverage” as used in these rules refers to the liquids and compounds referred to and defined in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code as amended, including, but not limited to, “intoxicating liquor,” “alcohol,” “beer,” “wine,” “mixed beverages,” and “spirituous liquor.”
(22) Student member. “Student member” is a member of a student organization who is enrolled and regularly attending at least three hours of university coursework.
(23) Affiliate member. “Affiliate member” is a member of a student organization who is taking less than three hours or is not currently enrolled, but is interested in working with the organization’s membership.
(24) Registered group. “Registered group” is a status given to those student organizations which register with the office of campus life. In order to be registered, a group must include at least five persons, all of whom meet the criteria for offices/representatives of student organizations under paragraphs (B)(1) and (B)(2) of rule 3342-4-03 of the Administrative Code.
(25) Group function. “Group function” is an event, meeting, or gathering sponsored by a registered group.
(26) Solicitation. “Solicitation” is any effort to ask for donations or contributions of money, goods, or services.
(27) Sales. “Sales” is the activity of exchanging a product or service in return for money, goods, or other services.
(28) Student ombudsman. “Student ombudsman” is the university official charged with the responsibility to assist students by providing an individualized information and referral system. The student ombudsman informs students of procedures for processing student complaints and acts as a facilitator upon request.
(29) Demonstration. “Demonstration” means a person or assembly of persons engaged in a rally, march, sit-in, fast or other public manifestation of welcome, approval, protest, or disapproval but does not include social, or athletic exhibitions or events.
(30) Sound amplification equipment. Any device used to amplify sound.
(31) Concert. “Concert” means a performance before an assembly of persons held on campus grounds or in a facility of the university with the intent of entertaining through music, song, and/or performance.
(32) Educational records. “Educational records” means those records, files, documents and other materials which contain information directly related to a student and are maintained by a college, school, department, office or other university organization, subdivision or by a person acting for the university or any of its subdivisions.
(33) University publications. “University publications” means all printed materials paid for in part or wholly by university funds, including monies received by the university from federal grants and other special grants awarded to the university, including funds given for university purposes through the Kent state university foundation.
(34) Facility. “Facility” means any area or building under the jurisdiction of the board except the regional campuses.
(35) Facility curator. “Facility curator” means a member of the faculty or staff appointed by the vice president for administration upon the recommendation of the appropriate vice president.
(36) Nonstudent visitor. “Nonstudent visitor” means any person who is not a student subject to paragraph (C)(1) of rule 3342-4-15 of the Administrative Code nor an employee acting within the scope of his or her employment.
(37) Persona non grata. "Persona non grata" means that a nonstudent has exhibited behavior which has been deemed detrimental to the university community and thus is no longer permitted to frequent or be present in any or specified university locations.
(38) Complaint. Any allegation of a violation of a specific regulation, policy, rule or procedure on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, disability as a veteran or a veteran of the Vietnam era.
(39) Grievance. “Grievance” means a claimed violation of a specified university regulation, policy, or procedure.
(40) Non-employee. “Non-employee” means any person not employed by the university or any other person not in an active work status with the university.
(41) Student employee. “Student employee” means a part-time employee (university funded, federal work-study or off-campus federal work-study) who is enrolled at Kent state university with the primary goal of achieving a degree.
Effective: March 1, 2015
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/1977, 7/19/1981, 8/30/1985, 9/19/2005