Guide to the Experts Profile
Anatoly Khitrin | ProfessorOffice/Department: Department of Chemistry
Location: Williams Hall
Area(s) of Expertise:
M.S. Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT), 1978
Ph.D. Institute of Chemical Physics RAS (Russia), 1985
Our group works on experimental and theoretical spin dynamics, quantum information processing, and developing new spectroscopic and imaging NMR techniques. We improved the methods of coherent spin control and were able to address and manipulate individual quantum states in clusters of up to twelve nuclear spins. Today we use such systems to study relaxation and decoherence of individual states, and as experimental models for implementing quantum algorithms. We proposed a concept of quantum amplification and illustrated it by finding the exact dynamic solution and by experiments with clusters of coupled nuclear spins. The ideas from quantum information science help us designing the dynamics of complex systems, while NMR "quantum toys" demonstrate feasibility of the proposed approaches. The work on NMR techniques includes creating more efficient schemes for decoupling, cross-polarization, measuring inter-nuclear distances in solids, imaging, and data processing.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Lee, J.-S., Rohrdanz, M. A. & Khitrin, A. K. Controlled spontaneous emission. Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 41, 045504/1-045504/8 (2008).
- Lee, J.-S. & Khitrin, A. K. Thermodynamics of adiabatic cross polarization. Journal of Chemical Physics 128, 114504/1-114504/7 (2008).
- Lee, J.-S. & Khitrin, A. K. Constant-time method for measuring inter-nuclear distances in static powders. Journal of Magnetic Resonance 186, 327-329 (2007).
- Lee, J.-S., Adams, T. & Khitrin, A. K. Experimental demonstration of a stimulated polarization wave in a chain of nuclear spins. New Journal of Physics 9, No pp. given (2007).
- J.-S. Lee and A. K. Khitrin, Accurate measurement of 13C-15N distances with solid-state NMR, J. Chem. Phys. 124, 144508 (2006).
- J.-S. Lee and A. K. Khitrin, Projective measurement in nuclear magnetic resonance, Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 074105 (2006).
- J.-S. Lee and A. K. Khitrin, Resurrection of "Schrodinger cat", New J. Phys. 8, 144 (2006).
- G. B. Furman, S. D. Goren, J.-S. Lee, A. K. Khitrin, V. M. Meerovich, and V. L. Sokolovsky, Stimulated wave of polarization in spin chains, Phys. Rev. B 74, 054404 (2006).
- J.-S. Lee and A. K. Khitrin, Detection of multiple-quantum coherences with projective nuclear magnetic resonance measurement, J. Chem. Phys. 125, 144521 (2006).
- J.-S. Lee and A. K. Khitrin, Algorithmic subtraction of high peaks in NMR spectra, Chem. Phys. Lett. 433, 244 (2006).