Celebration in Columbus
This is a landmark year in the history of Kent State University and Bowling Green State University. One hundred years ago on May 19, 1910, the Lowry Bill was passed, creating two new teachers’ colleges in northern Ohio.
Both schools were honored during a luncheon and special program on May 19, 2010, at the Ohio Statehouse Atrium in Columbus.
“Today, we celebrate Kent State, BGSU and 100 years of contributions that our two institutions have had and will continue to have – for our students and their families, for our communities and the entire state of Ohio, said Kent State President Lester A. Lefton. “Kent State and BGSU have served as vital resources to Ohio for the past 100 years, having a tremendous impact on our lives and our economy. For example, Kent State and the productivity of its graduates in the workforce produce nearly $2 billion in added income to Northeast Ohio.”
Since those early days, both schools have made significant changes. Kent State is Northeast Ohio’s leading public research university and the third largest university system in Ohio with eight campuses and more than 38,000 students. Kent State has produced 196,000 graduates, with 68 percent of living alumni residing in Ohio.
For this special centennial event, Lefton was joined by BGSU President Carol Cartwright, who served as Kent State’s president from 1991 to 2006; Vice Chancellor John Brighton; and Inter-University Council of Ohio President Bruce Johnson.
The Ohio House of Representatives and Senate also presented resolutions recognizing both schools.