M.A. in French
The Master of Arts degree program in French is offered in the following two areas of concentration:
- Literature is designed for students who want to increase their knowledge of French literature, culture, and language.
- Pedagogy is designed primarily for students who wish to teach in elementary and secondary schools, and for those who wish to increase their language proficiency and effectiveness as teachers.
Students may enroll on a full-time or part-time basis.
Literature: Students have two possibilities. They may successfully complete 33 credit hours of coursework and a comprehensive examination, or they may write a thesis, successfully complete 27 hours of coursework, and pass a shorter examination. The following six hours are required of all students pursuing the M.A. in French literature:
- FR 53216 Contemporary French Culture (3 hours)
- French 53213 Advanced Composition (3 hours) Students must enroll in this course in their first fall semester.
- The remaining 27 or 21 hours may be chosen from among the 50000-level French literature, culture, and language classes offered during the fall and spring semesters..