M.A. in Translation. Institute for Applied Linguistics, Kent State University
To be considered for acceptance in the Master's Program in translation, the student must complete an application for graduate admission (forms for domestic students are available at http://www.kent.edu/graduatestudies/index.cfm and for international students at http://www.kent.edu/admissions/International/index.cfm) ; and fulfill the entrance requirements in the Master’s Program in Translation. It is suggested that the application file be completed by February 15, especially if the applicant wants to be considered for a graduate assistantship. If you have any questions regarding the submission of documents, please email: Gradapps@kent.edu (for domestic students), or Intladm@kent.edu (for international students).
For domestic students, all materials should be sent to: Kent State University, Attn: Research and Graduate Studies, Graduate Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242.
For international students, all materials should be sent to: Kent State University, Office of Global Education, Attn: International Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242 .
In addition to submitting the application materials, official transcripts, and application fee required by university admission procedures, departmental requirements include:
- A 3.0 or higher grade point average in all undergraduate work or graduate work
- If the candidate is an international student, TOEFL scores of at least 550 (Written test) or 80 (internet based) or another certification of English proficiency acceptable to the university such as a Band of 6. 5 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- A 3 to 5 minute oral statement of purpose (CD or MP3/wav audio-file) in the student’s second language (conversational, not read from a script). International students should submit two oral statements: one in English and one in the language for which they are applying if it is not their native language (B and C languages). The oral statement should describe the student's experience in their second language.
- Writing sample/s (goal statement/essay) of at least 300 words in the second language chosen by the applicant. International students should also submit a sample in English). The essay/sample can be a paper written for a class. The writing samples should be accompanied by a signed declaration that they are the student's original work and that the student has received no help in their preparation. (The use of dictionaries and other reference work is permitted.)
- Three letters of recommendation