JMC launches first Student Voice TeamPosted Jan. 31, 2014
Eighteen JMC students from every JMC academic sequence will represent hundreds of JMC voices and viewpoints.
The vital statistics behind JMC’s new Student Voice Team (SVT) are important.
At the direction of Director Thor Wasbotten, JMC’s faculty-led Diversity and Globalization Committee has established the School’s first student advisory group, the SVT, to represent the views and interests of under-served student groups, identify concerns that could impede JMC from achieving its diversity and globalization goals and help JMC embrace new opportunities for diversity and inclusion. The SVT members represent the School’s demographic, academic and experiential diversity.
The SVT is a JMC-wide resource and will advise the Director and Associate Director through the JMC Diversity and Globalization Committee.
Undergraduate and graduate students had the opportunity to self-nominate for the team. Each nominee was interviewed by members of the Diversity and Globalization Committee.
The academic year 2013-2014 SVT members are:
- Julia Adkins, junior, journalism major
- Anthony (Buddy) Candela, senior, electronic media major
- Arbrion Chambliss, junior, public relations major
- Aaron Corpora, freshman, journalism major
- Alexandria Deitz, freshman, journalism major
- Israel Galarza, freshman, journalism major
- Autumn Gilliam, graduate student
- Justin Graci, sophomore, public relations major
- India Hines, senior, public relations major
- Jasmine Pace, graduate student
- Justin Sheil, senior, public relations major
- Brian Smith, senior, visual journalism major
- Raymond Strickland, junior, journalism major
- Kara Taylor, sophomore, journalism major
- Breyanna Tripp, sophomore, public relations major
- Alexandra Valverde, junior, journalism major
- Valerie Williams, freshman, journalism major
- Menting (Molly) Ying, freshman, journalism major
The team will be advised by Professor Traci E. Williams. JMC students can submit ideas or concerns to the team at email@example.com.
“I am excited and the students are excited. They are eager to work hard,” she said.
SVT member Molly Ying, an international student from Beijing, is willing to work hard. "With the Student Voice Team, we are like owners of the School. We have a voice and a duty to make the School better. The School is looking for our ideas and advice."
The SVT will work in close collaboration with the Diversity and Globalization Committee to make diversity and globalization relevant to all JMC students, faculty and staff. The Diversity and Globalization Committee is co-chaired by Professors Gene Shelton and Karl Idsvoog and consists of faculty members John Butte, Federico Subervi, Ann Schierhorn, Traci Williams and Stephanie Danes Smith.
Caption: JMC 2013-2014 academic year SVT team members (front row, from left): Molly Ying, Kara Taylor, Tyler Lunato, and Justin Sheil; (second row, from left): Aaron Corpora, Breyanna Trip, Alexandra Valverde, India Hines and Arbrion Chambliss; (third row, from left): Ray Strickland, Jasmine Pace, Julia Adkins; (last row, from left): Alexandra Dietz, Valerie Williams, Autumn Gillam and Buddy Candela. Missing from photo are Israel Galarza, Justin Graci and Brian Smith. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.