Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Maintaining Status

You are responsible for maintaining your status.  Students and scholars who fail to maintain status will be reported to the USCIS (U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) via SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).  Also, F-1/J-1 visa privileges will be lost and the student will be subject to deportation. To maintain your status you are responsible for the following: 

  • Maintain a valid passport.
  • Enroll as a full-time student during the academic years (fall and spring semesters) and make normal progress toward your degree. A full course load is 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and 8 credit hours per semester for graduate students.
  • Update your address, telephone number, and e-mail accounts on Flashline through the Student Tools tab in the Update Personal Information section. ) within 10 days after you move.

    • You must keep a valid permanent and local address on file. Permanent address=foreign address, local address=U.S. address
  • Complete transfer procedures when necessary.
  • Notify International Student and Scholar Services of changes of program or change in level of program (e.g. history to political science or bachelor’s to master’s).
  • Request an extension if your program takes longer than the date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If you need an extension you must apply to ISSS 30-45 days prior to expiration. 
  • Do not let your forms expire!
  • Maintain health insurance for yourself and any dependents.
  • Work only with proper authorization. Contact ISSS before starting employment.
    • On-campus employment requires ISSS approval.
  • Have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed by a foreign student advisor before traveling out of the U.S.

We are here to help you and want to work with you to maintain status with the USCIS. The staff members at the ISSS are well-trained and informed on current immigration matters. Please refer all questions to the ISSS.