- Support & Training
Responsible Computing and Systems Access
- Security Awareness
- Systems Access
- Policies and Procedures
- Get the Facts on P2P
If You Receive a Copyright Infringement Notification
What to do if you receive a DMCA Copyright Infringement Notification
The following should be done immediately.
- Read the entire DMCA notification of infringement. You will find this attached at the end of your email from a member of the Kent State Security and Access Management team. Be sure to read the notice, even if you don't believe your machine is in violation.
- If you are using peer to peer (P2P) sharing software such as FrostWire, AresWarez, BitTorrent, Morpheus or LimeWire for example, for the illegal downloading/sharing of copyrighted material, you should immediately remove the software.
- You are required to search for files listed in the infringement notice and remove those that have been illegally obtained. If you do have the rights to use the files, you most likely do not have the right to share the files.
Remember: If you didn't pay for it, you shouldn't have it on your computer.
- Notify Security and Access Management once your computer has been verified clean. Schedule an appointment with a security analyst and deliver a signed compliance form to Security and Access Management, stating that your computer has been cleaned of all infringing material.
- Ignore the notice. If you do not respond to Security and Access Management within a few days, your network connection will remain blocked until the matter is resolved.
- Contact the copyright holder directly. They do not need to know who you are, and they may be confused about who to contact in the future.
What the Office of Security and Access Management Will Require of You
If you receive a DMCA Copyright Infringement Notification you will be required to do all of the following:
STEP 1: Watch both movies below:
STEP 2: Read all the following:
Summary of Civil and Criminal Penalties for Violation of Federal Copyright Laws
DMCA Complaint Management Procedures
DMCA Procedures for Resident Students
Message to Kent State Community on Illegal Downloading of
Copyrighted Materials from Ed Mahon, VP for Information Services and CIO
Copyright Infringement Information Sheet
And review the contents of this website: