What is Beyond Compliance?
Beyond Compliance (BC) is an initiative that provides annual training for Kent State faculty and staff. Beyond Compliance began in 2014 in an effort to ensure that faculty and staff are fully up to date and aware of the relevant laws and university policies regarding discrimination, harassment and violence prevention.
An initiative such as this keeps the university compliant with Title IX and The Campus SaVE Act, part of the 2013 reauthorized Violence Against Women Act. While regular training regarding other forms of discrimination and harassment is not required by law on an annual basis, a practice such as Beyond Compliance is considered a "best practice" for effective prevention.
How much training is required?
All current Kent State University full time and part-time staff must attend a minimum of two hours of HR Compliance Training for each fiscal year. All full time and part time faculty are strongly encouraged to meet this standard too as this initiative benefits all members of the university community.
Who is the audience?
The Beyond Compliance Initiative applies to all full and part-time staff who have been with the university starting on or before July 1, 2014. Other interested members of the university community are also welcome and encouraged to participate. Full and part-time staff who have joined the university after July 1, 2014 will meet the Beyond Compliance standard by completing their new-hire online training requirements from Human Resources. Those individuals will be expected to meet or exceed the minimal Beyond Compliance expectations in 2015.
Why is Beyond Compliance important?
This initiative is important because it means Kent State continues to hold the highest standards for ensuring our workforce remains one of the best by respecting the differences in people, ideas and opinions and through the express prohibition of discrimination toward others..
What approved training is available?
|Date and Time
||Topic and Presenter
|March 18, 2015 - 10 - 11 a.m.||
Step Up and Speak Out
Presented by Shay Little and Carrie Berta
|April 7, 2015 - 3:30 - 5 p.m.
|April 9, 2015 - 3:30 - 5 p.m.||
Beyond Title IX
Presented by Jennie O'Connell
|April 14, 2015 - 8 a.m. - noon
Employment Law & Harassment Prevention
Presented by Renee Romine
|April 22, 2015 - 9 - 10:30 a.m.
|April 22, 2015 - 9 - 11:30 a.m.
Presented by Renee Romine
Only BC approved training will count towards the two-hour minimum. You can choose from any of the options below. Some sessions are 60 minutes in length so you may need to select more than one to meet the minimum standard.
Future Offerings may include:
- Green Dot (60 minutes) - click here for information on Green Dot.
- General Campus Safety - Kent State Police Services (60 minutes)
- Interviewing Biases/Discrimination
- Clery Act - General Council
- Understanding and Responding to Discrimination Harassment
- Step Up and Speak Out (60 minutes) - click here for more information on Step Up and Speak Out
- Beyond Title IX: Supporting Students and Changing Culture Around Power-Based Personal Violence (60 minutes)
What other resources are available to help me in combating discrimination, harassment and violence prevention?
The following archived webinars are available to assist faculty and staff. Keep in mind that recorded webinars DO NOT count toward your 2 hours annual BC training minimum.
- Title IX Overview - originally broadcast 7/14/14
- Making Your Virtual and Physical Classroom Accessible - originally broadcast 9/19/14
- Step Up and Speak Out - originally broadcast 9/30/14
- Beyond Title IX: Supporting Students and Changing Culture Around Power-Based Personal Violence (60 minutes) - originally broadcast 11/13/14
- So What's With the Green Dot? - (60 minutes) originally broadcast 2/11/2015
How were these topics selected?
Human Resources solicited input from a variety of individuals and groups across the university to collectively agree on this approach and the topics. If you have a topic that you would like to see us add, contact email@example.com and let us know.