Profiles Detail Page (Do Not Delete)
Paleolimnology is the study of past terrestrial aquatic records. Here in the Geology Department at Kent State, the focus is on late Cenozoic records, especially those of Pleistocene and Holocene age. Paleolimnology is a subject area with many specialties. My research areas include:
- Ground water surface water interaction zones
- Lakes as indicators of climate change
- Environmental & paleohydrologic records of wetlands
My research program is centered on the development of the modern and fossil non-marine ostracode record as a tool in determining changes in water quality and climate through Holocene time. I focus on the role of ground water-surface water interactions in mediating the terrestrial climate record, and in identifying paleohydrologic changes using the ostracode ecology and ostracode shell geochemistry. This program involves independent research as well as collaborative efforts with researchers at other institutions. The general areas of this research program include:
- Paleohydrology and Drought History on the Great Plains: Holocene climate records from lacustrine ostracodesHolocene Lake Level and Paleolimnology of the Great Lakes
- Calibration of ostracode shell geochemistry (stable isotopes, trace elements) against hydrogeochemistry
- Construction of a modern environmental dataset of limnologic/climate/ostracode distribution records in the continental U.S., designed for public access
- Hydrology of springs and seeps using ostracodes as bioindicators.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Selected Papers (see CV for full listing)
Smith, Alison J., Horne, David J., Martens, K., and Shon,I., (in press). Ostracoda, IN (Thorp, J. and Rogers, C. (eds.) Freshwater Invertebrates, 4th Edition, volume 1 Ecology & General Biology, Chapter 30., Elsevier Publishing Company, Release Date December 2014.
Ranasinghe, P.N., Ortiz, J.D., Smith, A.J., Griffith, E.M., Siriwardana, C.H., de Silva, S.N., and Wijesundara, D.T., 2013. Mid- to late-Holocene Indian winter monsoon variability from a terrestrial record in eastern and southeastern coastal environments of Sri Lanka, The Holocene, 0959683612475141, first published on March 19, 2013.
Smith, Alison J., 2012. Evidence of environmental change from terrestrial and freshwater palaeoecology, Chapter 12 IN (Matthews, J., Bartlein, P., Briffa, K., Dawson, A., de Vernal, A., Denham, T., Fritz, S. and Oldfield, F., Eds.) , Handbook of Environmental Change, Sage Publishing, pp. 254-283.
Schön, I., Pinto, R.L., Halse, S., Smith, A.J., Martens, K., Birkey, W.,Jr., 2012. Cryptic species in putative ancient asexual Darwinulids (Crustacea, Ostracoda), PLoS1, v.7, (7), e39844, pp. 1-10.
Smith, A.J. and Palmer, D.F., 2012. The versatility of Quaternary ostracods as palaeoclimate proxies: comparative testing of geochemical and ecological/biogeographical approaches, IN (Horne, D., Holmes, J., Rodrigez-Lasaro, J., and Viehberg, F., Eds.) Ostracoda as Proxies for Quaternary Climate Change, vol. 17 in Developments in Quaternary Science series, Elsevier Science Publishing, pp. 183-203.
Mezquita, F., Viehberg, F. and Smith, A.J., 2012. The biology and ecology of ostracods IN (Horne, D., Holmes, J., Rodrigez-Lasaro, J., and Viehberg, F., Eds.) Ostracoda as Proxies for Quaternary Climate Change, vol. 17 in Developments in Quaternary Science series, Elsevier Science Publishing, pp. 15-35.
Curry, B. B., Delorme, L.D., Smith, A.J., Palmer, D.F., and Stiff, B.J., 2012. The biogeography and physiochemical characteristics of aquatic habitats of freshwater ostracodes in Canada and the United States IN (Horne, D., Holmes, J., Rodrigez-Lasaro, J., and Viehberg, F., Eds.) Ostracoda as Proxies for Quaternary Climate Change, vol. 17 in Developments in Quaternary Science series, Elsevier Science Publishing, pp. 85-115.
- Holocene Climate Change
American Geophysical Union
American Quaternary Association: AMQUA council member 2002-2006
Geological Society of America
- GSA Session Chair, 2005 Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City Session T-10: Chemistry, Ecology and Groundwater Hydrology of Lakes, Streams, Playas and Springs: Observations at the Interface
- GSA 2003 Annual Meeting - Workshop Convenor (with Lisa Park, U.Akron), Paleontology Society Workshop, 2003 Bridging the Gap: Trends in the Ostracode Biological and Geological Sciences
International Quaternary Association: INQUA U.S. National Committee
- USNC Member 2008-2011
- Vice-Chair 2012-2015
OFFICEDepartment of Geology
Spring 2015 office hours:
McGilvrey Hall 219
Tuesday & Thursday
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday 1:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Please make an appointment for one of these times by email only, no walk-ins
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-3709