Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Study Abroad Fin Aid

Steps to Receiving Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Note: Students that will be studying abroad through the Florence Architecture & Interior Design program or the Florence Fashion Design & Merchandising program will receive the financial information, for their programs, through the information seminar that is held each year.
  • Begin researching your options for study abroad programs, at least one year in advance. The Office of Global Education (OGE), has the most up current listings of study abroad programs that are offered by Kent State as well as programs sponsored by other universities and third party providers.
  • Obtain information regarding the direct and indirect cost for each program you are considering.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year in which you will be participating in a study abroad program. The FAFSA Form can be filed electronically at
  • If you will be participating in a study abroad program during the summer, complete the FAFSA, and the Summer Aid Request Form,
  • If you have a scholarship awarded to you by an academic department (i.e. Art Scholarship, Accounting Scholarship, Honors College), contact the appropriate department to find out if you can use this scholarship while participating in a study abroad program. In most cases, you may use your scholarships in you are participating in a Kent State , Ohio International Consortium Program or one of the many Kent State exchange programs.
  • If you decide to participate in a study abroad program offered by another college/university or a third party study abroad provider (such as Across the Pond), you must visit the Office of Global Education (OGE) to obtain the Study Abroad Pre-Approval Form (SAPAF). Their office is located in 106 Van Campen Hall. The SAPAF allows OGE, your academic advisors and the Student Financial Aid Office to work in tangent, to ensure a successful study abroad program for you.
  • If you are planning on using your financial aid to help pay for your program, contact Tara Jackson (Study Abroad Coordinator),, to discuss your options. As each student is in a unique situation, with regards to their financial aid, each person is reviewed individually and will be contacted by Tara, with options to fund your program.
See our Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions by clicking here.