II. Enhance Academic Excellence and Innovation
2.1 Create strategic academic investments, beginning with Public Health
- Fully implement a hiring plan for the College of Public Health (Academic Affairs)
- Encourage the development of new, high impact, academic programs (Academic Affairs)
- Continue to support college and general university fundraising priorities, including scholarships (Institutional Advancement)
- Promote legislative support for the College of Public Health and launch student recruiting (University Relations).
2.2 Refine academic plan development
- Develop strategic plans for each academic unit and campus (Academic Affairs)
- Fully implement Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) accountability matrix (Academic Affairs)
- Continue accreditation in key academic programs including but not limited to architecture, business, education, and nursing (Academic Affairs).
2.3 Integrate the eight-campus system
- Shepherd all students towards degree completion on all campuses (Academic Affairs)
- Further enhance and coordinate service delivery in support of the Regional Campuses (Enrollment Management and Student Affairs)
- Use integrated marketing to promote Kent State leadership throughout Ohio, and particularly Northeast Ohio (University Relations)
- Develop a system-wide master building plan (Business and Finance)
- Implement advanced network connectivity among Kent State’s campuses to enhance user functionality (Information Services).
2.4 Revise faculty promotion and tenure standards
- Revise faculty tenure and promotion standards and unit handbooks (Academic Affairs)
- Continue to emphasize quality over quantity, substance over volume in work production (Academic Affairs).
2.5 Increase the quality and diversity of the student body
- Increase the diversity of the student population (Academic Affairs; Enrollment Management and Student Affairs; Diversity Equity and Inclusion)
- Strengthen various targeted areas of undergraduate student enrollment (Enrollment Management and Student Affairs)
- Review, support realigning structures, processes for recruitment and retention of students of color; and promotion of women in specific areas (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- Increase the graduation rate of students of color (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- Incorporate inclusive values across differences to include age, sex, national origin, international students, LGBT populations, and other differences (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- Target marketing programs to recruit and retain a diverse pool of academically motivated students (University Relations).
2.6 Create new learning paradigms that focus on learning outcomes
- Focus on student learning outcomes (Academic Affairs)
- Support diversity goals in colleges and divisions (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion).
2.7 Enhance distance learning opportunities, also known as Kent State Virtual
- Expand non-traditional ways of earning degrees/certificates (Academic Affairs)
- Promote distance learning benefits, opportunities and successes (University Relations)
- Select and implement new educational technology tools (Information Services).
2.8 Implement a major facilities improvement project to align the quality of university space with institutional aspirations
- Develop and implement a major capital improvements plan for the Kent Campus incorporating five foci: campus safety and accessibility; support for high-priority strategic directions; functionality; energy conservation; and pride, look and feel (Business and Finance; Academic Affairs; Enrollment Management and Student Affairs)
- Identify priorities and expected return on science mall renovations (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Develop metrics for laboratory space utilization (Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Participate in planned university facilities improvements (Enrollment Management and Student Affairs)
- Develop fundraising case statements for each university-identified construction project (Institutional Advancement)
- Gain necessary approvals to accomplish facilities plan (Business and Finance; University Relations)
- Support downtown Kent redevelopment in partnership with city (Business and Finance; University Relations)
- Develop plans and fundraising for athletic facility improvements (Intercollegiate Athletics)
- Implement new application to manage and maintain classroom technology centrally and provide enhanced technology to selected classrooms based on the annual classroom improvement plan (Information Services; Academic Affairs)
- Ensure campus capital projects include state-of-the-art electronic technologies (Information Services)
- Deploy wireless in all academic buildings and streamline wireless access options to enhance usability (Information Services).