I've recently completed two lengthy scholarly projects: with Katy Powell (Virginia Tech University) and I edited a collection of essays on socially progressive research methodologies. Contributors include Joanne Addison, Stuart Blythe, Chris Haas & Kerrie Farkas, Gail Hawisher & Cindy Selfe, Gloria Jacobs, Brian Huot & Michael Williamson, Gesa Kirsch, Richard Marback, Sharon McGee, Christia Teston. In addition to an introductory chapter on feminist research epistemologies (co-authored with Katy), I co-authored (with Beth Tomlinson and Jennifer Castillo) a chapter in the collection, "The Construction of Research Problems and Methods."
Christina Haas (University of Minnesota) and I have published several pieces based on our study of a large corpus of naturally-occurring instant messaging conversations. Our research team (comprised at various times of graduate students and undergraduates) developed a taxonomy of IM language features and used it to code the over 30,000 word corpus. Our analysis has allowed us to make several arguments about language change, language forms, and what writing is now.
Currently, I am working on another large research team (with Jessica Corey, Jessica Heffner, Chris McCracken, Sara Newman, & Derek Van Ittersum) investigating how scientists think about and teach writing to their graduate students.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Practicing Research in Writing Studies: Reflexive and Ethically Responsible Research. (Edited with Katrina Powell). Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2012.
- “Analytic Strategies, Competent Inquiries, and Methodological Tensions in the Study of Writing.” Co-authored with Christina Haas and Brandon Carr. Writing Studies Research in Practice: Methods and Methodologies. Eds. Lee Nickoson and Mary Sheridan. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 2012.
- “The Construction of Research Problems and Methods.” Co-authored with Elizabeth Tomlinson and Jennifer Castillo. Practicing Research in Writing Studies: Reflexive and Ethically Responsible Research. Eds. Katrina Powell and Pamela Takayoshi. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2012. 97 – 121.
- "Revealing Methodology.” Co-authored with Katrina Powell. Practicing Research in Writing Studies: Reflexive and Ethically Responsible Research. Eds. Katrina Powell and Pamela Takayoshi. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2012. 1 – 28.
- “Young People’s Everyday Literacies: The Language of Instant Messaging.” Co-authored with Christina Haas; with Brandon Carr, Kimberley Hudson, and Ross Pollock. Research inthe Teaching of English 45 (2011): 378 – 404. Recipient of the 2012 Ellen Nold Award for Best Article in Computers and Composition.
- “Building and Maintaining Contexts in Interactive Networked Writing: An Examination of Deixis and Intertextuality in Instant Messaging.” Co-authored with Christina Haas and Brandon Carr. Journal of Business and Technical Communication 25.3 (2011): 276 – 298. Nominated for the 2013 Technical and Scientific Communication Award in the category of Best Article Reporting Historical Research or Textual Studies in Technical or Scientific Communication.
- “Composing in a Digital World: The Transition of a Writing Program and Its Faculty.” Co-authored with Brian Huot. Writing Program Administration 32.3 (2009):89 – 119.
- Writing Technologies
- Empirical Research
- Writing Instruction
OFFICEDepartment of English
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-1777
COURSES TEACHINGFall 2014
- ENG 65051 - 001 Literacy
- ENG 75051 - 001 Literacy
- ENG 89199 - 005 Dissertation I
- ENG 89299 - 010 Dissertation Ii
- ENG 21003 - 001 Intro To Lgbt Literature
- ENG 89199 - 004 Dissertation I
- ENG 89299 - 003 Dissertation Ii