Ph.D., Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1988
Brian Huot has been a full time writing teacher and writing program administrator since 1980. Currently he is Professor of English at Kent State University. He is past chair of the College Section Committee and Member of the NCTE Executive Committee (2006-2008) and a current member of the Council of Writing Program Administrator Executive Board. He is a contributing scholar to the literature on the teaching and assessing of writing and has served as consultant for various institutions. He is currently a member of the NCTE Consulting Network.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Guide to College Writing Assessment. With Peggy O'Neill and Cindy Moore. Logan, UT: Utah State Press, 2009.
- Assessing Writing: A Critical Sourcebook. Edited with Peggy O'Neil. Bedford St. Martin and The National Council of the Teachers of English, 2009.
- (Re) Articulating Writing Assessment for Teaching and Learning, Logan, UT: Utah State Press, 2002.
Book Chapters and Articles
- "Toward a New Understanding for Classroom Writing Assessment": The Sage Handbook of Writing Development. London: Sage. 2009. 423-435. (with Jeff Perry).
- "Analyzing Narratives of Change in a Writing Program." The Writing Program Interrupted: Making Space for Critical Discourse. Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook. 2009. 155-165. (with Margaret Shaw and Gerry Winter).
- "A Usable Past for Writing Assessment." College English Expected May, 2010. (with Peggy O'Neill and Cindy Moore).
- "Creating a Culture of Assessment in Writing Programs and Beyond" College Composition and Communication 61:1 (2009): W107-W132. (with Cindy Moore and Peggy O'Neill)
- "Composing in a Digital World: The Transition of a Writing Program and Its Faculty" WPA: Writing Program Administration 32 (2009): 89-119. (with Pamela Takayoshi).
- Opinion: Consistently Inconsistent: Business and the Spellings Commission Report on Higher Education." College English 69 (2007): 512-525.
- "What Teachers Say About Different Kinds of Mandated State Writing Tests." Journal of Writing Assessment 2 (2005), 81-108. (with Peggy O'Neil, Sandra Murphy and Michael M. Williamson)
- Role and Impact of Assessment on the Teaching of Writing
Conference on College Composition and Communication
National Council of Teachers of English
National Council of Writing Program Administrators, Executive Committee Member
OFFICEDepartment of English
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-1749
COURSES TEACHINGFall 2014
- ENG 21011 - 027 College Writing Ii
- ENG 65052 - 001 Writing Activity
- ENG 75052 - 001 Writing Activity
- ENG 89199 - 009 Dissertation I
- ENG 89299 - 007 Dissertation Ii
- ENG 21011 - 052 College Writing Ii
- ENG 65027 - 001 Role Of Composition
- ENG 75027 - 001 Role Of Composition
- ENG 89299 - 010 Dissertation Ii
- ENG 65027 - 030 Role Of Composition
- ENG 75027 - 030 Role Of Composition