Kent State University is now processing all applications online. Here is the general procedure for all applications. Be sure to check program-specific guidelines (links below) for additional information.
- Start at the Kent State Admissions Application site: Apply Now
- At this page scroll down to and click on "Graduate Admissions" if you are an international student, click on "International Admissions."
- At this page ("Step 1"), select the degree program type you are applying to: i.e. "masters" or "doctoral."
- Read and follow the instructions under "Step 2".
Domestic student applications are processed through "Graduate Studies (GS)" and all required materials should be sent directly to this address:
International student applications are all processed through the Office of Global Education (OGE):International Student Admissions or e-mail to email@example.com
625 Loop Road
106 Van Campen Hall
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242-0001
Transcripts must be sent directly by your current institution's Registrar to the appropriate address above. Additional information (such as guidelines for the Statement of Goals) is posted under each program in the department (use links below).
Proceed to "Step 3" which is Apply Now. Follow the instructions on the subsequent pages. (You may complete part of the application and return later to complete it if you need to do so: information will be saved.)
- Statement of Purpose (200-500 words) may be submitted during online application process into a form provided; you may also mail your statement to GS at firstname.lastname@example.org (International applications to email@example.com).
- Request that your letters of recommendation be e-mailed or sent to GS at firstname.lastname@example.org (international applications to OGE at email@example.com).
- E-mail or mail your writing sample (8-10 page essay) to GS at firstname.lastname@example.org (international applications to OGE at email@example.com).
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (sent directly by your registrar to GS).
- Application Fee (submit online)
- GRE scores (General Test only), GRE is required for both domestic and international applicants.
- International applications submit TOEFL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review Application Status: After you have submitted your application, you can always go back to Apply Now (login link at bottom of page) to view the status of your application to view which materials have been received and what is still missing from your application. Only completed applications will be considered for admission and/or assistantships.
Please indicate on the first line of your statement of purpose whether you are applying to the literary traditions, literary theory or Rhetoric and Composition focus. All applicants will be considered for a Graduate Assistantship.
Specific Program InformationFind specific program information by following these links:
- MA applicants seeking Graduate Assistantships or Fellowships: January 15th.
- Deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 15th. Please note that application materials, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores can take up to 6 weeks to reach and be processed by Graduate Admissions. Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process well in advance of the deadline.
- MA applicants NOT seeking Assistantships are considered year-round: Be sure your application is complete 6-weeks in advance of admission term
Graduate Application Contact Information