Undergraduate Student Trustee
The Student Trustee provides a unique and meaningful opportunity for direct student involvement in the governance of the university. The Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs facilitates the annual search/nomination process for a new student member of Kent State’s Board of Trustees. Members are appointed to two-year terms by the governor and actively participate in meetings and other board-related events.
Overview of Expectations, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
- Attendance and participation in four (4) regular meetings and all special meetings as needed each year.
- Preparation for the meetings by reading prepared material with care so that they can discuss, modify, and make recommendations on proposed resolutions.
- Expectation that the Student Trustees will keep themselves informed about academic programs, student life, current and future financial status, capital funding, collective bargaining, support services, and regional campuses.
- Attendance at University events to represent the Board of Trustees as requested.
- Fulfill the responsibilities of a Trustee as stated in the bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Kent State University.
- Maintain the same level of expertise and preparedness as an empowered member of the Board of Trustees.
- The new term of Student Trustee will begin on the date of appointment by the Governor, and shall end on May 16, 2016.
- Must possess the qualifications of an elector of the State of Ohio:
- Eighteen years of age
- Resident of the State of Ohio
- Registered to vote
- Students must be enrolled in, regularly attending, and complete at least eight (8) undergraduate credit hours for the semester in which they are an applicant.
- Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.50, not be on academic probation or warning, and have passed at least six (6) undergraduate credit hours in the preceding semester of attendance at Kent State University. Service as a graduate student on the Board of Trustees will require eight (8) undergraduate credit hours per semester while serving as a Student Trustee.
- At the time of nomination, nominees must be able to complete a two (2) year term.
- Students must undergo and electronic fingerprinting process and Ohio criminal background check.