Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Student FAQ's

OpenCampus Kent


Do I need a lawyer?
Not to resolve student conduct violations/cases.  In fact, no person may represent you but yourself in student conduct hearings.  However, you may have any person (including a friend, relative, Judicial Advocate, or an attorney) present with you and providing advisement to you at all times.


Who are the Hearing Officers?
Hearing Offices are faculty, staff, and students from KSU, appointed by the President of the University, the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, or the respective Student Governments.  All hearing officers are required to attend training by the Office of Student Conduct prior to conducting hearings.


How do I get involved?
As a student, if you want to be a Hearing Officer or Judicial Advocate, work with your Student Government – or call Office of Student Conduct at 330-672-4054. As a faculty or staff person, call the Office of Student Conduct.


Do you handle Academic Misconduct cases?
The Office of Student Conduct does not adjudicate cases of alleged academic misconduct.  Cheating / Plagiarism cases are resolved through the Cheating / Plagiarism process as described in section 3-01.8 of the Policy Register ( ) as well as  the Academic Resources – Plagiarism website ( ).  Prior to that, the Student Ombuds is the appropriate resource to discuss such a situation (330-672-9494).


What if information on the Incident Report is wrong?
You can discuss any problems with the incident report at any hearing you attend.  If you are attending a Hearing Panel, you address your concerns to the complainant directly.


Why do some cases go to the Residence Halls and others to Student Conduct?
Upon a review of the students involved in an incident and their history with that particular student, decisions are made by Residence Services on a case-by-case basis.  A referral to the Office of Student Conduct does not necessarily equate a more egregious charge.


How do I file a complaint?
The Kent State University Public Safety Department remains the appropriate place to file a criminal or campus violation complaints: Kent State University Police


How long does the Appeal process take?
Appeals must be submitted to Student Conduct within one week of the hearing (Sanction Hearing or Hearing Panel).  The review process for the appeal typically takes two weeks, and a response is sent in writing (hard copy).


Is there a penalty for saying that I'm "not responsible" for what I'm accused of?


Are sanctions standardized?
No.  Sanctions are determined on a case-by-case basis, depending the severity of the charges, the background of the student (academically and behaviorally), and what they provide to the Hearing Officer(s) during the hearing.


Is there a "three strikes and you're out" rule?
NO!  If a behavior is considered dangerous to the campus community, one action could lead to separation from KSU.  The Office of Student Conduct does not generally quantify a number of chances.  Each student will be given the best opportunity to succeed educationally and socially, within the bounds of the current policies and procedures.


What if I am Dismissed, Suspended, Restricted from the Residence Halls, or Persona Non Grata?

There are many services still available to students or persons who are restricted from Kent State University.  Please review this file for resources: DSRPNG.pdf