Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

>> Search issues prior to Fall 2010

HR Question of the Week

HR Question of the week

Do I have to take leave if I serve as a poll worker on Election Day?

The university has a category of paid leave for employees who volunteer as poll workers during a general, primary or special election in Ohio.

According to the guidelines, permanent part-time and full-time classified and unclassified employees can request poll worker leave from their supervisor, subject to the following conditions:

  • The request must be made in writing, at least 14 calendar days prior to the date of the election;
  • The request must include the employee's intent to serve as a poll worker and specify the county in which the employee intends to serve; and
  • The request must be turned in to the employee's immediate supervisor.

Employees are only eligible to receive paid leave for their time as a poll worker on an hour-for-hour basis, up to the maximum number of hours the employee was regularly scheduled to work on an election day. The complete provisions of the poll worker leave guidelines, and the Poll Worker Leave Verification Form, can be found here.

If you have a suggestion for a future HR Question, please send it to

Editor’s Note: There was an incorrect website listed in last week's Question of the Week. The correct website for the Kent State Apple store is

View all HR questions of the week