Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

>> Search issues prior to Fall 2010

HR Question of the Week

HR Question of the week

What should I do if I get a virus on a university-owned computer?

If you suspect that your university-owned computer is infected with a virus or spyware, the following steps are recommended by the Division of Information Services:

  • Stop using the computer for any Kent State-related work, and attempt to save any work that is currently in progress.
  • If you receive a warning from Microsoft Forefront antivirus about a possible infection, click "Clean Computer" to remove it. If you do not recognize the program notifying you about an infection, please skip this step, as it may be the virus itself. Once you receive a green check box from Microsoft Forefront, the virus should be removed.
  • If the above process does not remove the virus, open a support request so that local tech support can follow up to verify the virus is gone. You can do this by visiting and clicking Submit a Ticket or by calling 330-672-HELP (4357).

View an archive of past HR Questions.

We welcome suggestions for future HR Questions. Please send your suggestion to

View all HR questions of the week