Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

>> Search issues prior to Fall 2010

HR Question of the Week

HR Question of the week

Can I take paid leave if I serve as a poll worker on election day?

Yes. Kent State University has established guidelines on using poll worker leave for eligible employees who serve as poll workers during a general, primary or special election in Ohio.

According to the guidelines, permanent part-time and full-time classified and unclassified employees can request poll worker leave from their supervisors, subject to the following conditions:

  • The request must be made in writing, at least 14 calendar days prior to the date of the election;
  • The request must include the employee's intent to serve as a poll worker and specify the county in which the employee intends to serve; and
  • The request must be turned in to the employee's immediate supervisor.

Employees are only eligible to receive paid leave for their time as a poll worker on an hour-for-hour basis, up to the maximum number of hours the employee was regularly scheduled to work on an election day. For example, an employee whose normal work shift is eight hours, but who works a 12-hour shift at the polls, is only eligible for eight hours of paid leave from Kent State.

Following the election, the employee must submit a Poll Worker Leave Verification form, signed by the employee and a representative from the Board of Elections. More information, including the Poll Worker verification form, is available online.

For questions, please contact Mary Jane Hannahs at 330-672-8331 or

View the HR Question of the Week archive.

View all HR questions of the week