Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

>> Search issues prior to Fall 2010

HR Question of the Week

HR Question of the week

Do I have to take leave if I serve as a poll worker on Election Day?

A category of paid leave is available for university employees who volunteer as poll workers during a general, primary or special election in Ohio. Permanent part-time and full-time classified and unclassified employees can request "poll worker leave" from their supervisor, subject to the following conditions:

  • The request must be made at least 14 calendar days prior to the date of the election;
  • The request must be in writing;
  • The request must include the employee's intent to serve as a poll worker and specify the county in which the employee intends to serve; and
  • The request must be turned in to the employee's immediate supervisor.

Employees are only eligible to receive paid leave for their time as a poll worker on an hour-for-hour basis, up to the maximum number of hours the employee was regularly scheduled to work on an election day.

More information, including the poll worker leave form, is available
online or by contacting Joe Vitale at 330-672-8318

View an archive of past HR Questions. If you have a suggestion for a future HR Question, please send it to View all HR questions of the week