University Libraries Partners With Nonprofit Organization to Recycle Books
Better World Books and Kent State University are making strides in staying green by recycling unwanted books and donating them to those in need.read more
Legal Brief: Legal Services Provided by the Office of General CounselPosted April 30, 2012
“Legal Briefs” appears in e-Inside to keep faculty and staff informed of legal issues and their implications. An archive of past Legal Briefs is available online.
The Office of the General Counsel serves as more than just the legal representative of the university. The office is also available to provide legal advice and guidance on university-related matters to employees and departments at all campuses. This aligns with its mission to advance the university’s strategic goals while preserving the legal, ethical and financial integrity of the institution.
Willis Walker, the general counsel, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the office and ensuring that the university remains in legal compliance with numerous state and federal laws and regulations. The attorneys and staff in the office provide many services, including:
- Assist departments with the administration and negotiation of all third-party contracts;
- Provide notary services for university documents;
- Coordinate all public records requests for the Kent and Regional Campuses;
- Assist in the development of university policy, as well as department-specific regulations;
- Provide advice on patent, copyright and technology-transfer information;
- Assist international employees with the permanent residency process; and
- Provide training in regulatory compliance and guidance when new laws go into effect.
Each attorney has several primary areas of responsibility. View the list of attorney responsibilities so you will know who to contact if a legal issue arises as part of your job at Kent State. If you are not sure who to contact, call the office at 330-672-2982 or send your legal inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit the Office of the General Counsel's website for a variety of resources including a compliance database, a records retention schedule and relevant information on immigration services.