Summa Health Executive Named Kent State President’s Ambassador
The President’s Ambassador for Kent State University for this academic year is Roxia B. Boykin, Summa Health System’s vice president, Community Benefit and Diversity. Boykin’s appointment to this one-year advisory and action role begins in September 2011.read more
Legal Brief: Welcome to the Office of General CounselPosted Aug. 29, 2011
“Legal Briefs” appears in e-Inside monthly to keep faculty and staff informed of legal issues and their implications. An archive of past Legal Briefs is available online.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) serves as more than just the legal representative of the university. OGC is also available to provide legal advice and guidance on university-related matters to employees and departments at all eight campuses. This aligns with the OGC mission to advance the university’s strategic goals while preserving the legal, ethical and financial integrity of the institution.
Reporting directly to the President, the General Counsel is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the office and ensuring that the university remains in legal compliance with numerous state and federal laws and regulations. The attorneys and special assistants in the office provide many services, including:
- Assist departments with the administration and negotiation of all third-party contracts;
- Provide notary services for university documents;
- Coordinate all public records requests for the Kent and Regional Campuses;
- Assist in the development of university policy, as well as department-specific regulations;
- Provide advice on patent, copyright and technology-transfer information;
- Assist international employees with the permanent residency process; and
- Provide training in regulatory compliance and guidance when new laws go into effect.
The OGC website contains a variety of resources including a compliance database, a records retention schedule and relevant information on immigration services.
If a legal issue arises as part of your job at Kent State, please contact the OGC as soon as possible. The office is located on the second floor of the Library in the Executive Offices. You can also call 330-672-2982 or send your legal inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.