Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Application Procedures for M.A. and Ph.D. Programs

Master's and Ph.D. Students

All application materials should be sent to:

Division of Graduate Studies
Cartwright Hall
Kent State University
650 Hilltop Dr.
Kent, Ohio 44242-0001

All inquiries about your application status should be addressed to that office (330-672-2661). An application form can be completed on-line. The graduate catalog can be viewed on-line. Email questions to

Application checklist:

  • Completed application forms
  • Official transcripts from each school at which you earned eight credit hours or more
  • Three letters of recommendation.  Use this form for your reference writers.  Letters must be mailed to the address above.  We have no online process for submitting recommendations.
  • Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores
  • A letter of intent, highlighting information you would like the admissions committee to know (master's students)
  • Students applying through the combined baccalaureate-master's program (CBMP) must also submit a CBMP form, available here.
  • Ph.D. applicants are required to submit a letter of intent that details their professional and research goals

The admission procedure for the master's program is as follows:

  • Completed applications for fall semester will be reviewed as of January 20th and for the combined baccalaureate program by October 15th.
  • Applications that clearly do not meet the admission standards will be rejected.
  • From the others, applications will be accepted to fill a predetermined number of slots. Those applications not accepted and those received after the due dates (fall: January 20th, combined baccalaureate: October 15th) will be placed on a waiting list.
  • Admission for spring semester is reserved for the students in our combined baccalaureate-master's program.
  • Ph.D. applications are reviewed on a continuous basis as they are  received.

Post-undergraduate applicants

Students who have an undergraduate degree in another discipline and who need to pursue our post-baccalaureate program, must apply to the general admissions office of the university as a post-undergraduate student not seeking a degree. Please contact Dr. Lynne Rowan, Graduate Coordinator or visit the non-major section of our website for further information.

Post-baccalaureate applicants

Students who have completed post-baccalaureate coursework in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology may apply for Fall admission to the M.A. Program. Applicants must have completed 4 out of 5 of the following courses or their university's equivalents before applying:

  • Applied Phonetics
  • Hearing Science or Speech Science
  • Anatomy and Physiology of Speech
  • Speech and Language Development
  • Neural Processes in Speech and Language

Though it is not required for admission for post-baccalaureate students to the graduate program, it is also recommended that students complete a course in Audiology and a course in Aural Rehabilitation (or their university's equivalents) to expedite the process of ASHA clinical certification.

Also relevant to undergraduate prerequisite coursework, ASHA requires that applicants for clinical certification demonstrate knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences. Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science). Acceptable courses in physical sciences should include physics or chemistry. Acceptable courses in social/behavioral sciences should include psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health. A stand-alone course in statistics is required.

Au.D. Program Applicants

Applicants for the Northeast Ohio Au.D. Corsortium (NOAC) program, see for application information.


Students who want to take graduate courses without pursuing a degree must apply as a non-degree student. Students who are enrolled in a graduate program at another university but wish to take a class at Kent State can apply for transient student status. Contact Dr. Lynne Rowan, Graduate Coordinator, for further information.

Apply Now!