Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

PhD Students


Ph. D Handbook 2014-15

Ph. D Student Flow Chart: Track your progress towards graduation

The handbook has been prepared to assist you in planning the many steps to receiving the Ph.D. in Education. Although we have attempted to answer the most frequent questions asked by doctoral students, it is assumed that you will have many other questions as you proceed through your program. Please do not hesitate to refer such questions to your adviser or to the personnel in the Office of Graduate Student Services (418 White Hall). 

A list of deadline dates for items such as graduation, oral defense of dissertation, oral defense of thesis, withdraw and exit from current semester, etc. Also, dates of when the semester begins and ends, graduation commencement ceremony, and dates for when the University is closed due to holidays.


Important Graduate Dates for Spring 2015


Spring 2015 classes begin


Last day for those hoping to graduate May 2015 Graduate graduation to file approved dissertation proposal & IRB statement of approval or thesis proposal or project proposal


Deadline to apply for graduate level May 2015 graduation - $200 non-refundable late application processing fee after this date


Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no classes, offices closed)


Final date for oral defense of graduate level dissertation, thesis, or project


Last day to withdraw from any or all courses


Spring Recess (no classes, offices open)


Deadline to:

·         Submit dissertation electronically

·         Submit thesis electronically

·         Submit signature pages to 409 White Hall


Deadline for graduate level students graduating in May 2015 to have all incomplete grades from previous semesters cleared


Final deadline for all dissertation and thesis corrections


Classes end

May 4-10

Final exam week

May 8 -9

Check commencement site for exact time and day for Graduate School of EHHS

Week of July 6 

Spring 2015 diplomas mailed to students at permanents addresses

Spring 2015 Oral Defense Schedule

Schedule of upcoming dissertation oral defense presentation. Everyone in the EHHS community is welcome to attend.

Graduate Assistantship Application

An appointment made by KSU to full-time graduates who display a high level of scholarship and academic excellence. The award is merit based, not need-based, and includes stipend and tuition.

printable GA application


It is the responsibility of each graduate student to make an appointment with the assigned faculty adviser and prepare a plan of study to be filed with the Office of Graduate Student Services, 418 White Hall, by the end of the fourth enrolled semester. The plan of study form is available in the program area. The completed form is a comprehensive plan for the student's program. If the plan of study must be revised after submitting to the Office of Graduate Student Services, the adviser must initial the change(s) on the plan of study or submit a memo to the Office of Graduate Student Services indicating the change(s).


              Sample 1

              Sample 2


If students decide to change degree/major, the appropriate form must be completed. Upon approval, a new plan of study must be filed. The form should be used when students desire to change from one Master's or Ed.S. program into another. Students can not use the Change of Degree/Major form to change to a higher degree. They must formally apply again to the higher degree. Students can use the Change of Degree/Major form to drop down to a lower degree (Ed.S. to Masters, Ph.D. to Ed.S. etc). You can also find the form in 418 White Hall.


The application for graduation must be filed with the Office of Graduate Student Services (418 White Hall) no later than FRIDAY of the first week of classes in the SEMESTER IN WHICH GRADUATION IS ANTICIPATED. The application is available here or outside of the Office of Graduate Student Services, 418 White Hall.

Students who submit a graduation application after the posted deadline will be subject to a $200.00 non-refundable late processing fee upon acceptance of the application.


Form for students who are still within their time limits and who have not taken a class for several semesters and find they are unable to register.

Re-enrollment application


A maximum of 12 semester hours may be transferred from accredited institutions if the following conditions are met: (1) work was at the graduate level; (2) a grade of "A" or "B" was earned; (3) the work fits into the program; (4) credit will be less than six years old at the time the degree is conferred at Kent; (5) student was admitted as a graduate student at the time the course was taken; and (6) the student completes the "Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit" form. The completed form must be submitted to room 418 White Hall with an original transcript with grade posted. OGSS will secure all required signatures. Course work that does not have a letter grade of "A" or "B" cannot be transferred.

Transfer of Credit Form
(Official transcripts MUST accompany this form)