Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


Students plan individualized courses of study, based on their previous educational experiences and professional goals, with the advice and approval of their advisory phase committees. The course of study includes four major divisions:

  1. Advanced study in research, human development and learning, and cultural foundations of education;
  2. Major area, advanced study in reading, writing, and literacy-related areas;
  3. Minor/cognate, focused study in another doctoral-level area within the university;
  4. Residency, in-depth study and professional activities (e.g., writing for publication, presentation at professional conferences). Written and oral examinations conclude the coursework phase of the program. The dissertation phase completes the program.

The Ph.D. program in Curriculum & Instruction (Literacy) is designed to promote growth in these eight broad areas, stated as objectives. The student will

  • Develop knowledge of processes and skills related to procedures for curriculum design, development, and implementation in literacy education
  • Understand and value the role of research in exploring literacy- related issues and in informing practice in literacy education
  • Understand and value the contributions to literacy theory and practice from allied fields: linguistics, psychology, sociology, etc.
  • Understand issues, problems, and trends in literacy research and instruction
  • Develop a comprehensive knowledge base in literacy education and the broad field of education;
  • Analyze and evaluate literacy research in terms of its potential to inform practice
  • Develop attitudes, values, reasoning abilities, and technical tools of educational scholarship and practice appropriate to literacy education
  • Conduct research in literacy processes and/or instruction.

Literacy Specialization Ph.D. Prospectus

For more information, contact Dr. Denise N. Morgan, Program Director, at:  


What is the Reading Endorsement?
The Reading Endorsement is a "stamp of approval" to teach reading, grades preK-12, in Ohio. The Endorsement is granted by the Ohio Department of Education. It is not a new license but rather is applied to an existing teaching certificate/ license.

Who is eligible to receive the Endorsement?
Anyone who holds a valid teaching certificate/license, in any field, is eligible to receive the Endorsement.

What if I don't hold a teaching certificate/ license?
You can still take the courses, but you won't be eligible for the Endorsement. (ODE won't have anything to "attach" it to.) If it would help you, we can provide you with a letter that says you have taken all the required courses. If you would like such a letter, send your name and mailing address to Dr. Denise N. Morgan (

What classes must I take?

  • C&I 6/77310, Theory and Practice in the Teaching of Reading
  • C&I 6/77319, Diagnosis and Remediation in Reading
  • C&I 6/77323, Clinical Practicum in Corrective Reading
  • C&I 6/77330, Content Area Reading
  • MCED 50005, Effective Use of Phonics in Reading (if you have not taken a phonics course—see transfer information below)

Is there a required order for the classes?
Yes. You must take Theory and Practice, Diagnosis and Remediation, and Clinical Practicum in order.

Is it OK to take some classes off campus and some classes on campus?
Yes. On campus, Theory and Practice is offered every term (including summer), Diagnosis is offered every fall and spring, Content Area Reading is offered every summer and fall, and Clinical Practicum is offered in summer only. If you want to enroll in the noncohort Practicum course, you must contact Sherry Ernsberger ( or 330-672-2836) by March 1 of the year in which you want to take the course.

How can I learn more abut the reading endorsement cohorts?
Visit the Professional Development & Outreach webpage. See Reading Endorsement link For additional questions, contact Professional Development & Outreach at 330-672-0538.

Can I transfer in courses taken at another institution?
No, with one exception: If your previous coursework includes a phonics course, you will not need to take one of our phonics courses. Note that this only applies if the entire course was related to phonics (needs to say this in the title).

Can I use my Reading Endorsement coursework toward a Master's degree?
Yes. Endorsement courses are required of students who are in the Masters in Reading Specialization program and may also be used in several other Masters' degrees in the College and Graduate School of Education, Health, and Human Services. (If you are in another program, consult your advisor.)

How do I obtain my license?
In addition to completing the reading endorsement coursework, you must take the following test:

OAE Reading (K-12) exam, subtest 1 (38) and 2 (39)

 Here is a link for that particular assessment:

As of August 2013, this replaces the Praxis II: Teaching Reading (0204) test (you no longer take this test).

How do I apply for the Endorsement?
Go to Select the College and Graduate School of Education, Health, and Human Services. Select "special nondegree" for Endorsement only or Master's for a Master's degree.

How do I add the Endorsement to my license?
Go to for more information.


The Master's Degree in Reading Specialization requires 32 semester hours of course work. Your reading endorsement coursework can count towards 12 or 15 hours (depending on your need for a phonics course).

Can I use my Reading Endorsement coursework toward a Master's degree?
Yes. Endorsement courses are required of students who are in the Masters in Reading Specialization program and may also be used in several other Masters' degrees in the College and Graduate School of Education, Health, and Human Services. (If you are in another program, consult your advisor.)

Can I transfer credits taken at another institution for my master's degree?
If you are working on your Master's Degree you may be able to transfer credits upon the discretion of your advisor. Often, your advisor would like to see the syllabus from the course you would like to transfer. Make sure you have that available when you consult with your advisor.

How do I transfer credits that my advisor has approved?
There is also a form you will need to complete and submit with an official transcript. See Transfer of Credit request under General Forms.

What classes do I take towards my Master's?
See the prospectus which details your course of study. Contact your advisor when admitted to discuss your prospectus.

Master's Prospectus

When are courses offered?
See the Graduate Course Offerings to see when courses are typically offered.

Graduate Course Offerings

Where can I find information about the workshops Kent offers?
Most individuals earning a Master's Degree will need to take a one-hour workshop. Your advisor must approve your workshop. You must earn a letter grade for your workshop.

Kent offers workshops each semester. Check here for workshop offerings.

Also, you can earn a one-hour credit by attending the Kent State University, Youngstown State University and University of Akron reading conference, typically held in October. You will attend the conference and sign up to take the one-hour graduate course that extends information learned from the conference.

Information about the conference can be found here. Click on workshop link.

Where can I find information about applying to graduate school?

To apply to graduate school

Where can I find out about tuition payment and other fees?

Visit the Bursar's Office

Phone Number: (330) 672-2626

Where can I find information about financial aid?

Phone number: 330-672-2972

Where can I find information about registering for courses and the university calendar?

For information about registering for classes:

For information about deadlines for course registration and important dates, click on Registrar Calendar:

Who can answer other questions?

  • About admission: Graduate Studies or 330-672-2661
  • About the cohorts: Professional Development & Outreach at 330-672-0538
  • About the Master's degree: your advisor, if you have one, or Dr. Denise N. Morgan for pre-admission questions (

-updated 2011