Counseling & Human Development Services
The Counseling and Human Development Services (CHDS) Program at Kent State University is located in the College of Education, Health, and Human Services (EHHS). CHDS is a part of the School of Lifespan Development and Educational Sciences (LDES).
At the master's degree level, the CHDS Program focuses on two areas: Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling. A doctoral degree (Ph.D.) is offered in Counseling and Human Development Services. The CHDS faculty members are advocates for the counseling profession and are affiliated with the American Counseling Association.
Jason McGlothlin, Ph.D., PCC-s
CHDS Master's Programs Coordinator
Jane Cox, Ph.D., PCC-s
CHDS Doctoral Program Coordinator
Counseling and Human Development Services (CHDS) is proud to say that our program has propelled many graduates into successful careers as counselors, supervisors, leaders, and university professors throughout Ohio and other states.
Accomplishments of our Programs include the following:
- Nationally accredited master’s and doctoral programs by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). CACREP is the national accrediting body representing standards of excellence in the counseling profession.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling and CHDS doctoral program has approved curriculum from the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board.
- The School Counseling program has approved curriculum from the Ohio Department of Education.
- Our Program has been recently ranked within the top 15 counselor education programs in the nation by the U.S. News and World Report.
- Our faculty has been ranked #1 in Counseling Education / Counseling & Guidance for scholarly productivity by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The program utilizes an in-house counseling center (the Counseling and Human Development Center, CHDC) for training purposes. The CHDC is considered one of the largest counseling centers in the nation.
We take pride in the graduates from our Program! Many have distinguished themselves as counselors, supervisors, leaders, and university professors throughout Ohio and in other states.