Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Frequently Asked Questions

What does TLC stand for?
A: Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies

What is the KSU information number?
A: 330-672-3000 or

How do I register for courses online?
A: Log into your flashLine account via the KSU home page ( Click the "Student Tools" Tab.

When do classes begin? What is the last day to drop and add a course?
A: The calendar for each semester is in the front of the schedule book. Or at the website: and tab on Registrar Calendars, then tab on the semester.

What is the phone number to the Office of Student Services in 304 White Hall?
A: The office phone number is 330-672-2862. The web address is:

How do I apply for advanced standing? What is the Praxis test, and do I need to take it?
A: For information on advanced standing and the praxis test, please contact the Office of Student Services at 330-672-2862 or

How do I apply for a faculty advisor?
A: You can fill out a form in 404 White Hall or call TLC at 330-672-2580.

I need to make an appointment with my faculty advisor, how do I get in touch with him/her? I need my advisor to sign my student teaching form, it's due tomorrow, what do I do?
A: Faculty advisors make their own appointments, you can call your advisor and leave a voice mail message, or you can email them, or you can leave a message in their mailbox, and finally you can come to their open office hours. You can call TLC at 330-672-2580 or stop in and check a faculty member's office hours on the posting outside 404 White Hall.

How do I apply for student teaching?
A: For all information regarding student teaching, please contact the Office of Student Services at 330-672-2862 or

What are the different licensure areas available?
A: Early Childhood Education - Birth through Preschool and Primary(K-3); Middle Childhood Education - Grades 4-8; Adolescence/Adult Education - Grades 9-12

What type of graduate and doctoral programs are offered?
A: Curriculum and Instruction; Educational Administration--K-12 licensure; Educational Administration--Higher Education.

I have a bachelors/masters degree, but not in education, how do I get a teaching certificate? How do I apply? What classes do I need to take to qualify?
A: TLC offers a Masters of Teaching (MAT) program in Secondary Education; Early Childhood; and Middle Childhood. Please go to: and select the appropriate tab for each program area. Secondary MAT is included in ADED (Adolescence/Young Adult Education). You may also contact TLC at 330-672-2580 or stop in 404 White Hall for the contact information of the appropriate Program Coordinator.

I need to get into a class and could not successfully register. Common errors:

  • It is not my time to register. Will I get closed out?
  • I'm getting registration add errors when I try to register. Can I still get into that class?
  • The class is restricted. What does that mean?
  • The class has a prerequisite, and I'm taking that class right now.
  • The class is full. Can I be put on a waitlist?
  • I need department and/or instructor's permission.
  • My courses have a time conflict.

A: If you are having a problem registering, you can always call TLC at 330-672-2580 or email If a class is full or you need the instructor's permission, you will need to contact the instructor of that course. If it is not your time to register, then you will need to wait for open registration. If you are concerned about being closed out of a class, have a time conflict, or need a prerequisite, you can contact TLC. If the voice response system says the the class is restricted, it means that the special controls put on certain classes do not match your status. Please call TLC for clarification at 330-672-2580 or email

I would like to take some graduate level courses, but I'm not seeking a degree, how do I go about being admitted and registering for classes?
A: You can take up to 6 credit hours as a guest student. You can also apply for graduate school and be admitted as a nondegree graduate or as a workshop student. Please call the Graduate Office of Student Services at 330-672-2576 or for more information.

I'm a dissertation student, how do I register every semester?
A: Your registration is taken care of every semester in TLC. Please call 330-672-2580 for more information

I am an Integrated Special Education major, but I need to take some Early Childhood and Middle Childhood Education classes, why won't the phone registration let me register for any of the sections?
A: There are special sections of ECED and MCED classes set aside for INSP majors each fall and spring semesters. Please read the notes listed after each section of the classes for verification of the section(s) set aside for INSP majors.

I need an on-campus job, where do I go to apply? What is work study?
A: Call Career Services at 330-672-2360 or log onto

How do I find out what book(s) are being used for my courses?
A: You can take your class schedule to the KSU bookstore (330-672-2762) or log on to and do a title search. You can also take your class schedule to DuBois Bookstore.

Where do I find out what publications the TLC faculty have published?
A: Go to, click on "faculty & staff" and scroll down to the faculty member you are interested in, and click on their "vita [pdf]" link.

How can I find out about the most CURRENT course listings for the upcoming semester?
A: Log into your flashLine account via the KSU home page ( Click the "Student Tools" Tab.