Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Financing Your Education Abroad Experience

Steps to Receiving Financial Aid for Study Abroad
  • There are several categories of study abroad programs available.  Please note, that in most cases, you are able to use financial aid to cover the cost of your study abroad program EXCEPT Unaffiliated International Programs. These type of study abroad programs require you to enroll directly at the foreign institution and financial aid is NOT available for you to use.
  • Obtain information regarding the direct (i.e. tuition) and indirect (i.e. spending money) costs for each program you are considering.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year in which you will be participating in a study abroad program. The FAFSA Form can be filed electronically at
  • If you will be participating in a study abroad program during the summer, complete the FAFSA, and the Summer Aid Request Form at
  • After you have decided what program you want to participate in, make an appointment to see Tara Jackson, the student Financial Aid Advisor for Study Abroad Students,, to discuss your financial aid package (grants, loans, and scholarships).
  • If you decide to participate in a study abroad program offered by another college/university or a third party study abroad provider (such as Semester at Sea), you must visit the Office of Global Education (OGE) to obtain the Study Abroad Transient packet. The Study Abroad Transient packet allows OGE, your academic advisors and the Student Financial Aid Office to work together to ensure a successful study abroad experience.
  • View the Study Abroad Financial Aid FAQs  HERE.

Note: Students that will be studying abroad through the Florence Architecture & Interior Design program or the Florence Fashion Design & Merchandising program will receive the financial information, for their programs, through the information seminar that is held each year.

  • If you have a scholarship awarded to you by an academic department (i.e. Art Scholarship, Accounting Scholarship, Honors College), contact the appropriate department to find out if you can use this scholarship while participating in a study abroad program. In most cases, you may use your scholarships when you are participating in a Kent State University program..
  • Research and apply for additional scholarship provided by your department or college.
  • Search for external scholarships offered by companies or cultural groups via Google. 
  • Download OGE's list of known study abroad scholarships HERE.
  • Study Abroad Scholarships are regularly posted on the Kent State Study Abroad Facebook page.  Click HERE for the link.
  • Search for external scholarships using search engines such as Google.  Consider looking for scholarships based on groups in which you participate (such as Greek Life or Cultural Organizations).