Karl V. Fast, Ph.D.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
I teach user experience design, information architecture, human-information interaction and related courses. I'm faculty member in the Information Architecture & Knowledge Management program.
I study how people make sense of digital information in their everyday life, and how our technologies rarely accommodate the messy, ad-hoc, and emergent patterns of this behavior.
- Find my publications on Mendeley
- Find my publications on Academia.edu
- Fast, K. V. & Sedig, K. (2011). Interaction and the epistemic potential of digital libraries. International Journal on Digital Libraries, 11(3), 169-207. doi: 10.1007/s00799-011-0066-8
- Campbell, D. G. & Fast, K. V. (2006).From pace layering to resilience theory: the complex implications of tagging for information architecture. Information Architecture Summit 2006, Vancouver, B.C., March 25-27, 2006.
- Fast, K. V. & Sedig, K. (2005).The INVENT Framework: The role of information visualization in the reconceptualization of digital libraries. Journal of Digital Information, 6 (3).
- Campbell, D. G. & Fast, K. V. (2004). Academic libraries and the Semantic Web: What the future may hold for research-supporting library catalogues. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 30 (5), 382-390.
- Fast, K. V. & Campbell, D. G. (2004). "I still like Google": University student perceptions of searching OPACs and the Web. Proceedings of the 67th Annual Meeting of ASIS&T, Providence, Rhode Island, Nov. 12-17, 2004. 138-146.
- Campbell, D. G. & Fast, K. V. (2004) Panizzi, Lubetzky and Google: How the Modern Web Environment is Reinventing the Theory of Cataloguing. Canadian Journal for Information and Library Science, 28 (3), 25-38.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Fast, K. V. (2011). Information is an opportunity. Information Architecture Summit 2012, New Orleans, Lousiana, March 21-25, 2012.
- Fast, K. V. (2011). Thinking with your hands. Midwest UX 2011, Columbus, Ohio, April 9-10, 2011.
- Fast, K. V. (2010). The architecture of piles. Information Architecture Summit 2010, Phoenix, Arizona, April 9-11, 2009.
- Fast, K. V. (2009). Is interaction necessary? Information Architecture Summit 2009, Memphis, Tennessee, March 20-22, 2009.
- Jörgensen, C., Fleischmann, K., Fast, K. V., von Eberstein, A., & Jörgensen, P. (2005). Towards a research agenda for visual informatics. Annual Meeting of the American Society for Information Science & Technology, Charlotte, North Carolina, October 28 – November 2, 2005.
- Fast, K. V. (2004). Information visualization: Failed experiment or future revolution? Information Architecture Summit 2004, Austin, Texas, Feb. 27-29, 2004.
- Fast, K. V. (2012). Information Architecture i(s|n) the future. World Information Architecture Day, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Feb. 12, 2012.
- Fast, K. V. (2011). Information as opportunity. World Usability Day, Cleveland, Ohio, November 10, 2011.
- Information as opportunity. (2011). World Usability Day, Cleveland.
- Human Information Interaction
- Information Visualization
- Information Architecture
- Multitouch surfaces
OFFICEColleges, Schools, and Departments
For Fall 2012
Thursdays: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Fridays: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
COURSES TEACHINGSummer 2014
- IAKM 60792 - 001 Internship In Iakm
- IAKM 61199 - 001 Thesis I