Jill Kawalec PhD
Jill S. Kawalec, PhDAssociate Professor and Division Head
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Case Western Reserve University
B.S., University of Pennsylvania
M.S., Case Western Reserve University
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University
Cartilage Repair and Replacement
Prevention and Treatment of Diabetic Foot Complications
Recent Conference Poster Presentations:
- “Nonvisual Foot Examination for People with Visual Impairment” – American Diabetes Association, 2014
- “Nonvisual Foot Inspection for People with Visual Impairment” – American Diabetes Association, 2013
- “Cadaveric Evaluation and Mechanical Testing of the Foot with an Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy Comparing a Bi-Phasic Ceramic Bone Substitute to Tricortical Cancellous Allograft” – American Podiatric Medical Association, 2012
- “The Susceptibility of Common Foot Pathogens Isolated from Deep Soft Tissue and Bone to Silver in Patients with Diabetic Foot Infections: A Statistical Evaluation Generated from Testing Silver-Based Dressing Products” – Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, 2011
- J.S. Kawalec-Carroll, V.J. Hetherington, D.S. Dockery, C. Shive, P.V. Lehmann, O.S. Targoni, D. Nadler and D. Prins, “Immunogenicity of Unprocessed and Photooxidized Bovine and Human Osteochondral Grafts in Collagen-Sensitive Mice”, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 7:32, 2006.
- V.J. Hetherington, J.S. Kawalec, D.S. Dockery, P.V. Lehmann, O.S. Targoni, and D. Nadler, “Immunologic Testing of Xeno-Derived Osteochondral Grafts Using Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells from Healthy Human Donors”, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 6:36, 2005.
- J.S. Kawalec, V.J. Hetherington, T.C. Pfennigwerth, D.S. Dockery and M. Dolce, “Effect of a Diode Laser on Wound Healing Using Diabetic and Nondiabetic Mice”, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 43, pp. 214-220, 2004.
- V.J. Hetherington, J.S. Kawalec and B. Bhattacharyya, “Enhancement of the Fixation of Pyrolytic Carbon Implants by Using Atomic Oxygen Texturing”, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 43, pp. 16-19, 2004.
- J.S. Kawalec, V.J. Hetherington, T.C. Melillo and N. Corbin, “Evaluation of Fibrocartilage Regeneration and Bone Response at Full-Thickness Cartilage Defects in Articulation with Pyrolytic Carbon or Cobalt-Chromium Alloy Hemiarthroplasties”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 41, pp. 534-540, 1998.
- J.S. Kawalec, S.A. Brown, J.H. Payer and K. Merritt, “Mixed-Metal Fretting Corrosion of Ti6Al4V and Wrought Cobalt Alloy”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 29, pp. 867-873, 1995.
Awards and Honors:
Kent State University Scholar of the Month – October 2013