The President's Medal recognizes faculty and administrative staff who have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of Kent State University through extraordinary and unique service. The Committee on Citation and Recognition invites faculty and staff members from all campuses to submit nominations for the President's Medal. The criteria established for the medal are the following:
- The President's Medal recognizes extraordinary and unique service to Kent State University by a member of the university community who has performed with excellence in his or her chosen profession.
- The medal is an attempt by the university community to honor one of its own.
- The awardee shall have performed with distinction in any of the these fields: scholarship, university service, research and creative arts.
- The award shall be limited to active members and members with emeritus rank among the faculty and administrative staff.
- Letter of nomination, citing the field(s) in which the candidate excels, e.g., scholarship, service, research or creative activity, and indicating how the candidate's service to the university has been extraordinary and unique.
- Up-to-date curriculum vita for the candidate.
- Minimum of three letters by Kent State faculty or administrative staff endorsing the candidate's nomination.
- Any other information pertinent to the candidate's level of excellent performance.