Become a PSI Intern. Visit the "In-house Internship Opportunities" section on this page.
Click here to view ad.
Internships & Practicums
College is the time to get experience, inside the classroom and out. Internships allow students to get their feet wet, testing career options and building their resume.
Practicum (COMM 46092):
The Practicum requires 150 hours for 3 credits) A formal cooperative field experience with a designated organization or agency, as designed by the student and the practicum coordinator. The Practicum requires students to build a portfolio of work, in addition to completing the duties of the position. Download the application.
Internship (COMM 45092):
The Internship requires 130 hours for every 3 credits, repeatable up to 6 credit hours) A formal cooperative field experience with a designated organization or agency, as designed by the student and the internship coordinator. The Internship requires students to keep a log of their work hours, a journal of their activities and a 10-12 page paper designed to discuss theory in practice. Download the application.
Independent Study (COMM 45196):
Readings and/or research on problems approved by internship coordinator in consultation with students adviser and faculty project director. Download the application.
Internship, Practicum and Independent Study credits are for communication majors with senior standing or who have obtained special permission to register for these credits. Students must have least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and 2.25 major GPA. No more than 6 hours combined of 45092, 46092, 45196 can apply toward major requirements. Internship credit does NOT take the place of a required course. Students will receive either a grade of S or U for Internship and Individual Study and a letter grade for Practicum. Students must complete 130 hours for every 3 credits of Internship; 150 hours for the Practicum and provide the Internship application and a detailed job description on company letterhead prior to registering for the Internship or Practicum credit.
In-house internship opportunities in the School of Communication Studies:
- COMM 15000 PSI Internship: This opportunity allows undergraduate students to assist in the classroom. Click here for the position description and application.
- Research and Special Events Intern: Interns support event planning, coordination, research and promotion of school and university events. Click here for the position description and application.
- Public Relations and Marketing Practicum: Interns aid in the schools internal and external communication activities. Click here for the position description and application.
Additional Internship Resources:
The Career Services Center offers a Job & Internship Search page, Job Interview Preparation resources, and the Experience Job & Internship Board allows students and alumni to apply to positions posted year round by employers (on and off campus).
The School of Communication Studies LinkedIn group is an opportunity to network with fellow alumni and share position announcements.
Some of the companies where communication studies students have held internships include:
- Target, Columbus, OH
- Montrose Auto Group, Fairlawn, OH
- Pepsi Co., Twinsburg, OH
- Duke Printing Eastlake, OH
- Christy Creative Social Media, LLC, Akron, OH
- The Talent Group, Cleveland, OH
- Centers for Families and Children, Cleveland, OH
- The American Red Cross of Greater Cleveland, Cleveland, OH
- Red Wings Rochester Community Baseball, Inc., Rochester, New York
- The Buckle, Mentor, OH
- Downtown Akron Partnership, Akron, OH
- Howard Hannah Smythe Cramer, Aurora, OH
- Chicago House Radio, Chicago, IL
- WONE 97.5, Akron, OH
- Sony Music Entertainment, New York City, NY
- Akron Aeros, Akron, OH
- Aerotek, Stow, OH
- WCMH-TV, Columbus, OH
- Akron-Canton Airport, Canton, OH
- Echogen Power Systems, LLC, Akron, OH
- Spice of Life Catering, Cleveland, OH
- Q104 WDOK, Cleveland, OH
- Cleveland Gladiators, Cleveland, OH
- CBS Radio 92.3 FM, Cleveland, OH
- Robinson Memorial Hospital, Ravenna, OH
- Kent State University College of Communication and Information, Kent, OH
- Kent State Center Programming for Center of Student Involvement, Kent, OH
- Kent State University Alumni Association, Kent, OH
- Undergraduate Programs Office College of Business Administration, Kent, OH
- Kent State University Department of Intercollegiate Athletes, Kent, OH
- Fahlgren Mortine, Columbus, OH