Ph.D., Northeastern University, 2003
Postdoctoral Fellow, Purdue University
Our research interests are focused on the synthesis of heterocyclic compounds with potential applications in the fields of pharmaceuticals and material sciences. Nitrogen, oxygen and sulfur heterocyclic compounds are key building blocks in medicinally and biologically active compounds. They are predominant among all types of pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals products. Heterocyclic compounds also have many industrial uses as components in dyes, antioxidants, copolymers, bases, and ligands. Both conventional and microwave assisted synthetic techniques are adopted in our research. We have developed an efficient microwave assisted synthesis of fused triazolo-benzopyidoxazepines for biological testing. Another area of interest is the syntheis of heterocyclic superamolecular compounds as liquid crystals, organic semiconductors and organic gelators. The structure of many heterocylic compounds permits their self assembly and aggregations via possible intermolecular hydrogen bonding, π-stacking, and metal coordination, making them attractive tunable optical and electronic targets. Students in our laboratory will have the opportunity to learn and practice organic synthesis, structure elucidation and physical measurements.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Fouad, Farid S Microwave-assisted soluble polymer supported synthesis of quinoxalines, benzodiazepines, and benzimidazoles. Abstracts of Papers, 240th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, United States, August 22-26, 2010
- Sane Komal M; Mynderse Michelle; Lalonde Daniel T; Dean Ivory S; Wojtkowiak Jonathan W; Fouad Farid; Borch Richard F; Reiners John J Jr; Gibbs Richard A; Mattingly Raymond R. A novel geranylgeranyl transferase inhibitor in combination with lovastatin inhibits proliferation and induces autophagy in STS-26T MPNST cells. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics(2010), 333:23-33.
- Borch, Richard Frederic; Gibbs, Richard Anthony; Clark, Michelle Martin; Fouad, Farid. Prodrugs and conjugates of prenylation inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. (2009), 47pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2009029849 A120090305 CAN 150:283238 AN 2009:258974
- Jonathan W. Wojtkowiak, Farid Fouad, Daniel T. LaLonde, Richard A. Gibbs, John J. Reiners, Jr., Richard F. Borch, Raymond R. Mattingly. Induction of apoptosis in Neurofibromatosis Type 1 malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor cell lines by a combination of novel farnesyl transferase inhibitors and lovastatin. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics (2008), 326:1–11.
- Farid S Fouad, Justin M Wright, Gary Plourde, Ajay S Purohit, Justin K Wyatt, Ahmed El-Shafey, George Hynd, Curtis F Crasto, Yiqing Lin and Graham B Jones. Synthesis, and Protein Degradation Capacity of Photoactivated Enediynes. Journal of Organic Chemistry (2005), 70, 9789-9797.
- Farid S Fouad, Curtis F Crasto, Yiqing Lin and Graham B Jones. Photoactivated Enediynes: Targeted Chimeras Which Undergo Photo-Bergman Cyclization. Tetrahedron Letters (2004), 45, 7753-7756.
- Farid S Fouad, Zhen Xi, Irving Goldberg and Graham B Jones. Preparation of Alkylation Agents for Bulged DNA Microenvironments. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters (2004), 14, 3337-3339.
- Gary Plourde, Ahmed El-Shafey, Farid S Fouad, Ajay S Purohit and Graham B Jones. Protein Degradation with Photoactivated Enediyne-Amino Acid Conjugates. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters (2002), 12(20), 2985-2988.
- Zhen Xi, Geum-Sook Hwang, Irving H Goldberg, Jeffrey L Harris, William T Pennington, Farid S Fouad, Ghassan Qabaja, Justin M Wright and Graham B Jones. Targeting DNA Bulged Microenvironments with Synthetic Agents. Lessons from a Natural Product. Chemistry & Biology (2002), 9(8), 925-931.
- Farid S Fouad, Graham B Jones, Irving Goldberg, Zhen Xi, Justin M Wright, Ghassan Qabaja, Geum-Sook Hwang, and Lizzy Kappen. Targeting DNA Bulged Microenvironments with Designed Spirocyclic Agents (Presentation). Abstracts of Papers, 224th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, United States,August 18-22, 2002.
- Graham B Jones and Farid S Fouad. Designed Enediyne Antitumor Agents. CURRENT PHARMACEUTICAL DESIGN (2002), 8(27), 2415-40.
- Graham B Jones, Justin M Wright, Gary Plourde, Ajay D Purohit, Justin K Wyatt, George Hynd and Farid S Fouad. Synthesis and Photochemical Activity of Designed Enediynes. Journal of the American Chemical Society (2000), 122(40), 9872-9873.
- Mohammad A El-Sekily, Mohammad E Elba and Farid S Fouad Some Heterocycles from Dehydro-L-Ascorbic Acid and Dehydro-D-Isoascorbic Acid. Journal of the Indian Chemical Society (2000), 77(3), 168-171
- Mohammad A El-Sekily, Mohammad E Elba and Farid S Fouad. Studies on Dehydro-L-Ascorbic Acid and Dehydro-D-Isoascorbic Acid Hydrazones.Journal of Chemical Research, Synopses (1999), (4), 296-297.