Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Leave of Absence Policy Takes Effect Fall Semester 2012

Posted Jul. 12, 2012

Effective in Fall 2012, a graduate student Leave of Absence policy will be in place. This policy will apply to ALL graduate students at Kent State, regardless of their start date. Below are some important points about this policy:

  • Degree-seeking graduate students are expected to be enrolled at least one term per year.
  • Degree-seeking students not enrolled at Kent State for a year MUST reapply to the degree program if they want to continue their study. The reapplication may include but is not limited to a new admission application, application fee, and transcripts.
  • Students must apply for their leave of absence BEFORE they take time off, and it must be approved in advance, or it will just be considered that they have voluntarily withdrawn.
  • A leave of absence is granted to degree-seeking graduate students in active status who must be away from their studies for one or more semesters due to personal, family, financial or other compelling reasons. To be eligible for a leave of absence, students must have completed at least one full term of enrollment (on a part-time or full-time basis) and be in good academic standing.
  • International students should contact the Office of Global Education before the initiation of a leave of absence and before returning to campus to ensure compliance with SEVIS regulations and visa restrictions.

The entire policy is available at

Please note:The time limit for degree completion must be followed in that coursework may be no older than seven years at the time of graduation.The complete time-limit policy for the MLIS degree may be found on the SLIS website,

Suggested Actions:

  • Because the policy is not in effect until August 27, 2012, if you are an inactive student and plan to complete your degree program, you need to complete and submit a Graduate Re-enrollment form by Friday, August 20, 2012, and enroll at least one course for Fall 2012 to become an active student. Otherwise, after August 27, you will need to reapply to the program (a new program application, application fee and possibly transcripts and other documents) if you wish to continue the program study. You may request for a Graduate Re-enrollment form from Elizabeth Ellison ( Elizabeth will provide the form and submission details.
  • If you are currently an active student and plan to take time off in the future, you need to apply for the leave of absence BEFORE the semester you plan to leave, and the application must be approved for your future return without a new application into the program.
  • Prior to applying for a leave of absence, students should consider its potential implications for such matters as funding (including assistantships and veterans benefits), loan repayment, immigration status, health insurance, university housing and time-to-degree completion. For further information about the effect on these areas, we recommend that you contact Student Financial Aid at or 330-672-2972.


If you have questions about this policy, please send them to Elizabeth Ellison (; Cheryl Tennant (; or Yin Zhang (