Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


Transfer Credit Evaluation of Undergraduate Coursework PDFDownload to print

An official evaluation of transfer credit will not be completed until undergraduate students have been admitted to the university and have submitted official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions previously attended. Generally, only those non-remedial/developmental courses in which students have earned a minimum C grade at an accredited school (as determined by the Transfer Center) will be considered for transfer. However, transfer credit earned fall 2005 and later from a regionally accredited college or university in Ohio and earned fall 2010 and later from a regionally accredited, or international equivalent, college or university outside Ohio will be awarded for all non-remedial/developmental courses in which students have earned a minimum D grade. Effective fall 2010, upper-division and lower-division credits are awarded for transfer based upon the level of course to which they are equated at Kent State.

Once the Transfer Center has determined which courses are transferable, the college office that houses the student’s major determines the applicability of these courses toward the desired degree. Some majors may require students to earn higher grades in specific courses or requirements. Students transferring to these majors will be held to the required grade and GPA standards.

Students who have attended schools that are not regionally accredited or that are not candidates for such accreditation are not granted credit by the Transfer Center for work completed there. The students’ college office, however, may grant such credit at its discretion. Although the evaluation of a student’s performance at a non-accredited institution is considered in the admissions decision, any work completed at an accredited institution takes precedence.

Kent State accepts a maximum of 11 semester credit hours (or 16 quarter hours) of correspondence work from an accredited institution. This work does not count toward the final year of required work in residence.

Transfer Credit Appeals Process: Students must submit, in writing, a letter of appeal regarding their transfer credit to the Kent State University Transfer Center. Upon recommendation by the Transfer Review Committee, students will be notified of the outcome, in writing by the Transfer Center.